• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Philippines May 2016 (1 Viewer)

Rgallardy

Hi all,

In the early stages of planning a trip to the Philippines in May. Trips dates will be 8 May - 1 June. The exact itinerary is still being worked out, but the game plan at the moment looks like Palawan, Cebu, Negros, Bohol, and Mindanao (you could always add on Luzon yourself, I just don't have time!).

I'm probably going to rent a car in Palawan, but plan on doing the rest by public transportation. Most of the trip will also be self guided, but might use a few local guides (PICOP ect) especially if I can get another person or two.

I'm a little flexible on the itinerary, but can't flex my dates at all (though you could always jump in mid way between island travel)

I've planned a lot of independent birding trips throughout SE asia and South America, but this will be my first time to the Philippines.

Ross

Finalized Itinerary

Hey all,

I figured I'd send another message in case there is any more last minute interest in this trip.

Dates will be from 8 May-2 June.
Palawan 9 May -14 May
Visayas 14 May-22 May (Cebu, Bohol, Negros)
Mindanao 22 May- 2 June.

I'm mostly interested in trying to find a few more people for the Mindanao portion, but I'm still open to the other portions as well. For Mindanao, coordination has already been made for the permits for Mt K for 23-26 May (there is now a 3 night minimum requirement, if we get a third person it will be 10,000 pesos per person for the 3 days everything included). From there we will take a bus to Davao where we will spend a morning with Pete Simpson looking for Whiskered Flowerpecker/Cryptic Flycatcher, before heading to PICOP via the Compostela Valley (we will have an afternoon and a morning in the Compostela Valley, also with Pete) This area is very good for Lina's Sunbird and has potential for a few other very rare birds (Mindanao Scops Owl, Parakeet, Brown-Dove, ect) Then it will be three full days in PICOP (29-31st) with local guide Zardo (total cost is 6000 pesos per day for vehicle and guide, split between however many people we have). The 1st of June will be a morning of birding and then an afternoon departure via bus back to Davao (I fly out at 0030 on the 2nd from Davao for MNL).

So overall, with three people, the trip should be very cheap (~$700 for 10 days in Mindanao!) and much lower than what you'd expect to pay for any birding tour (but still all the birds!). Let me know if you're interested

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back