• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phonescoping - shots, settings and combos (1 Viewer)

Here's another clip of a Eurasian Spoonbill taken at Mai Po few weeks ago.

Cheers
Mike

Nice video Mike. I ought to try more videoscoping.

Spoonbills are great birds, last year there were good numbers in Suffolk, sadly didn't get to see the big flock that was up the coast.

Gi

It's great that Spoonbills are breeding in the UK again Gi - such a special bird.

As an extra bonus here's a dodgy sketch of first ever Spoonbills - two birds coming into breeding plumage (NB the shaggy crests, and the collar on the left hand bird) on the Kingsbridge Estuary in South Devon in April 1988 - 33 years ago! With some (OK - a lot of) imagination you can tell the (shaded) mudflats from the (unshaded) tidal creeks and see the houses on the hills behind.

IMG_3940 Eurasian Spoonbills @ Kingsbridge Estuary April 1988.JPG

Here's another one for World Wetlands Day - of the pair of Greater white-fronted Geese that have been wintering at Mai Po this year. It's been fun to watch them pulling up the reeds and feeding on the rhizomes - and to learn that this is a good enough source of food to have kept them here for the last couple of months.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

I can tell they're Spoonbills but maybe wouldn't have guessed at the mudflats and tidal creeks!

Great video - talking of World Wetlands Day and feeding on rhizomes reminded me of watching a Purple Swamphen in the Ebro Delta, a fantastic wetland that I got to visit last February. This was videoscoped with my previous mobile phone.

Gi

Great stuff! - I remember being amazed to see this behaviour by one in Hong Kong many years ago.

Cheers
Mike

Trialling the new media function. Here's a Grey-headed Canary Flycatcher shot earlier this week at Shing Mun.

And not a bird, but one I enjoyed, a Burmese Python a couple of weeks earlier near San Tin.

As this looks to work pretty well I'll post some more here to show the video capabilities of my Kowa TSN 883 x iPhone 11 Pro set up. Please note these will be looking back as I sadly totalled the scope on Wednesday...

Cheers
Mike
Hi Mike,

Superb videoscoping results! I'm also in HK and recently purchased a used Kowa 883. Looking forward to get closer to these results in the future!

Would you suggest using the Otterbox/Kowa case with iPhone?

Thanks,
Christian

Hi Christian

Good to hear of another HK-based birder.

The Otterbox/Kowa has indeed worked well with my iPhone.

Cheers
Mike

Here are three videos taken with my iPhoneX

The first is a hand-held clip with the standard video function of an unbelievably tame Cooper’s Hawk at Montrose Point in Chicago on a work trip last November.

The second is a Water Rail phonescoped a couple of weeks ago at home in Hong Kong through my Kowa 883

The third is a wader roost nr Oakland Airport through ProCam 7 and the Kowa last week on another work trip.

Cheers
Mike
The clarity in the Cooper Hawk video is superb! Thanks. For sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back