• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pied Wagtails (1 Viewer)

Pete666

smart alec van driver
Hi all
I was in Leigh Delamere services on the M4 around 330am the other day having a break in the lorry park and there were 50 or 60 pied wagtails running about on the tarmac.Now given the fact that it was a wet and windy morning I can't see that they were feeding or that there was anything about for them to feed on! Also I find it hard to believe that they were roosting. Has anyone any ideas?
Happy Birding
Pete B :) B :)

In my experience, motorway service areas are quite favoured spots for roosting Pied Wags, so I'd imagine they might just have been disturbed from wherever they were having a kip.

Aren't Pieds an amazing bird? They seem to love Motorway service centres or Supermarket car parks. Then you'll see them walking over ice in the middle of a field.

Hmm, interesting question, which has brushed the edge of my mind also occasionally. The Black-backed (White) Wagtails behave similarly here. There are some large roosts on rooftops and window ledges right in downtown Tokyo, and at late dusk it's an amazing sight-- or mostly, sound-- as they arrive by the hundreds. And during the day they can be seen walking around in virtually any broad, open area, paved or otherwise. Most often, however, it is by ones or twos and threes, and in the latter case there is a good bit of territorial-type chasing going on. Still, what they find to eat is beyond me. Small insects and...?

I was under the impression that they were often to be found in carparks etc. as the tarmac retains heat, so makes for a warmer roosting area (and carparks are less busy and don't have fast cars when compared to roads).

Of course I am often wrong in these matters!

As I mentioned in a thread just before Xmas,I saw a large and varied collection of birds,Pied Wagtails,Robin,Dunnock,Chaffinch,Robin etc whilst in a Service Station parking area,they obviously realize that visitors leave food scraps,also next to our row of houses we have a car park,and there seem to be 2 resident pairs of Pied Wagtails.I try to take take a pic of them,but they are far too quick!!
Christine

Pre-roost/post-roost?

I'm grasping at straws now. They roost on buildings here as well, but I often see the local shop carpark covered with pieds. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back