• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pigeon Problem! (1 Viewer)

Humble Birdie

United Kingdom
Hi all.
I'm new here and came to see if anyone has any solutions to my growing pigeon problem.
After participating in RSPB's Big Garden Bird Watch a few years back got me interested in birdwatching, I put up a feeder in my garden. I was amazed at the amount and variety of birds that started visiting my garden. So were two of the neighbours. They decided to do the same and put up their own feeders. However, Feral Pigeons monopolise their feeders (they don't seem to mind!). 20 of them at a time sitting on the roof top is a common sight. They cant get access to the seed on my feeder so I used to remain pigeon free, but since the autumn they have taken to sitting on top of my feeder, deterring any other visitors. It's like their guarding it, swooping down from the roofs on any birds the penetrate their defences. The occasional Goldfinch or Blue Tit gets through but nothing compared to the number I used to get. What should I do? Someone suggested putting up a scarecrow, but I feel that will be an eyesore.

Only 20 ? !
Same where I live with loads of feral pigeons .
I've near enough given up.
I have one caged feeder hidden in the bushes .

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I‘m not sure a scarecrow is a good idea. A caged feeder might help especially if you can hang it in a tree or bush.

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I‘m not sure a scarecrow is a good idea. A caged feeder might help especially if you can hang it in a tree or bush.
Thank you,

I did also think about buying caged feeders but I don't think it will make much difference as the pigeons are not actually eating the seed, just scaring other users away. They can't eat it as I have hanging feeders and there is no where for them to stand. I've seen a few try and hover to access the seed but with little success.

Thank you,

I did also think about buying caged feeders but I don't think it will make much difference as the pigeons are not actually eating the seed, just scaring other users away. They can't eat it as I have hanging feeders and there is no where for them to stand. I've seen a few try and hover to access the seed but with little success.
I don't know what your feeder looks like, and this is probably a terrible idea... but you could try securing tie wraps every few centimetres along where the pigeons sit on the feeder and have the "tails" of the tie wraps pointing up so that they can't sit there anymore. It will be harmless to the pigeons and the smaller birds will probably still manage to perch in between depending on how much space you leave in between. You'll have a dodgy looking feeder but, hopefully it would break the habit of the pigeons sitting there. Remove them after a few weeks and hope the pigeons don't fall back into their old habits!
🤷‍♂️

Living on the edge of farmland we get a lot of woodpigeon and collared doves and found squirrel proof cages near the house work for the smaller birds, with seed on the ground well away from the feeders as a distraction.

Living on the edge of farmland we get a lot of woodpigeon and collared doves and found squirrel proof cages near the house work for the smaller birds, with seed on the ground well away from the feeders as a distraction.
I've pretty much solved the problem now by, like you mentioned, just spreading some cheap seed on the ground in a far away part of the garden. It keeps them distracted and they no longer disturb the other birds.

I use the scorched earth method...Start with several days of no feed and keep extending the days until the nuisance birds leave for good. Those that are your favorites will for the most part return. My nuisance bird is the Red Winged Blackbird, male & female. they come in such large numbers they push all others off the site.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back