• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pine Marten?? (1 Viewer)

Keith Glasgow

My son has just set up a camera trap at the back of our garden, and although he has put some food out, this animal didn't stop for the food.... he seemed to be passing by. I've combined three images unto one, as he approaches the camera and then walks away. I can't see his face at all unfortunately, but his gait does look like maybe Pine Marten. We're in the north east of Ireland (Co. Antrim), and although we don't usually have Martens, an occasional one has been found dead on the roads.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,
Keith.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-montage.png
    vlcsnap-montage.png
    250.5 KB · Views: 208
The two lighter ones are definitely Pine Martens. Not sure on the darker creature. Could it be a domestic cat or just the marten from an unusual angle?

Many thanks folks... Maybe I didn't make it clear.... the three animals are actually the same animal, just a few seconds apart. I photoshoped them together if that makes sense. Does seem to be Pine Marten all right.

Many thanks,
Keith.

Many thanks folks... Maybe I didn't make it clear.... the three animals are actually the same animal, just a few seconds apart. I photoshoped them together if that makes sense. Does seem to be Pine Marten all right.

Many thanks,
Keith.

That's a very deceiving shot Keith, really looks black, surely you'd see the white inside the ears even in this shot, you sure it's not a Mink?

Andy

I think I understand the confusion!! The picture on the right is the animal going away from the camera. What looks like a head is actually its tail! It's easy for me as I actually got to watch the movie. From left to right took only a few seconds.

thanks,
Keith.

I think I understand the confusion!! The picture on the right is the animal going away from the camera. What looks like a head is actually its tail! It's easy for me as I actually got to watch the movie. From left to right took only a few seconds.

thanks,
Keith.

Wow, I'd have lost money on that! If I had any.....

Andy

Many thanks,
Keith.

Yes, you made it clear Keith. I understood what you'd done - but I just thought I'd let it dawn on the other posters slowly! LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back