• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit in Kyushu, Japan (1 Viewer)

TWM

Any ideas on this Pipit. Taken near Izumi, Kyushu ,Japan. Mid February

Attachments

• 53578764218_5888108bb5_c.jpg
    53578764218_5888108bb5_c.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 53578547836_58ef5337c8_c.jpg
    53578547836_58ef5337c8_c.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 91
I suspect Olive-backed but I have only ever seen one (in Kyushu in February) so wait for confirmation from those with more experience.

I suspect Olive-backed but I have only ever seen one (in Kyushu in February) so wait for confirmation from those with more experience.
Olive-backed would have a different head pattern (more obvious supercilium, black & white mark at rear of ear coverts) and would be more heavily streaked and more olive-toned above. I agree with @kuzeycem that it's Buff-bellied.

Olive-backed would have a different head pattern (more obvious supercilium, black & white mark at rear of ear coverts) and would be more heavily streaked and more olive-toned above. I agree with @kuzeycem that it's Buff-bellied.

Thanks for the correction John and apologies to TWM for the incorrect ID - I really must steer clear of pipits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back