• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown shrike or Bull-headed shrike? (Kyushu, Japan) (1 Viewer)

I would think a Bull-headed Shrike, that probable scaling on the breast (blurred I think) and reddish throat is not something Brown would show I think.

Happy to hear from the more knowledgeable around here. I may make some mistakes with this duo, peer-validating at inaturalist.

cheers,
G

I think this is a Bull-headed Shrike. The photo is a bit blurry, so it's not easy to see if the breast is scaly, and we can't see the back or wings, so it could be male or female. (If you have other photos showing the back, then by all means post them.)

In Japan, the main Brown Shrike subspecies is ssp superciliousus, which has a prominent supercilium which reaches around the front of the head. The other less common one is ssp lucionensis which has a grey head.

The 'Brown' name seems to refer to the coverts and tail rather than the front of the bird.

Also, I don't think Brown Shrike has such a strongly coloured breast or that the breast colouring would reach so high up on the throat, but this is normal for Bull-headed.

Brown-headed should already have passed through anyway, I think, although with the warming climate, who knows?

For what it's worth, I have never seen Brown Shrike outside Okinawa, whereas Bull-headed are extremely common, but it may be that Brown Shrike (which is not resident, except maybe in Okinawa) breeds at higher elevations that I usually go. Anyway the birds in Okinawa (I have seen both supercilousus and lucionensis, though only a couple of times) seem very pale when compared to local Bull-headed.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back