• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit, North Wales, 20th January (1 Viewer)

wally170

Good afternoon good people of Birdforum

I saw this Pipit today, and it started a lenghty discussion between the 5 or so of us who saw it.

I think it's a Rock Pipit. There plenty of Meadow Pipit around and this bird was much dark. It was feeding along the edge of the water, amongst rocks and boulders.

Why i think it's a Rock Pipit.

- Dark upperparts. Much darker than Meadow Pipit.
- More contrasting bold Eye-Ring, that although common for Meadow I have never really noticed.
- Dark Spots underneath, much darker and bolder than I have ever seen on Meadow Pipit
- Dark legs, depending on light appearing Red to Dark Red/Black.

I don't think it's a Water Pipit, just from general appearance, but would be mightily pleased if it was.

If it's not a Rock Pipit, please point me in the right direction with specific features, and don't just say what it is :) :)

Ta Muchly
Wally

Attachments

• pipit.jpg
    pipit.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 184
If you look closely you can see that your bird does not have white outer tail feathers, ruling out Water Pipit and Meadow.

Call would have helped too - more insistant than Mipit!

Not very good on Calls, and have no way of converting them into a word.

It was a short, single 'Cheep' or 'Peep'. To me it was very distinctive.
Sorry, not much help.

And thanks for tip about the Tail outer tail feathers.

Rock Pipit call is often written down as "Fisst.".

Becau
se they are relatively plain-faced Rock Pipit's face patterns are often dominated by the eye ring.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back