• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit, Shanghai ID help please (1 Viewer)

Hainan on the fly

Wanted to confirm this was American Pipit over Water Pipit as this is my first experience with either in the field. I think the short supercilium along with the heavily marked throat, chest and flanks make this a pretty clear American Pipit but wanted to confirm.

Thanks,

Brian

Attachments

• pipit.j.jpg
    pipit.j.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 66
  • pipit2.j.jpg
    pipit2.j.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 65
  • pipit3.j.jpg
    pipit3.j.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 65
Yes, a japonicus American Pipit. Short supercilium isn't really an ID mark though, instead focus on the pale lores, broad mark on the throat sides, distinct black streaking and brighter wing bars.

Given that it breeds in Northern Japan and chunks of Siberia and winters in central and southern Japan and chunks of China; and breeds in northern and western Canada as well as Alaska while wintering in Mexico and central America, but only migrates through most of the US, then maybe consistently using the name Buff-bellied Pipit would be better for all these birds. In any case, there is no reason to think that your bird, either migrating or a potential winter resident, has ever been near America.

Given that it breeds in Northern Japan and chunks of Siberia and winters in central and southern Japan and chunks of China; and breeds in northern and western Canada as well as Alaska while wintering in Mexico and central America, but only migrates through most of the US, then maybe consistently using the name Buff-bellied Pipit would be better for all these birds. In any case, there is no reason to think that your bird, either migrating or a potential winter resident, has ever been near America.
Interesting. Thanks.

No worries mate. I found your explanation interesting and learned quite a lot about the geographical location of this bird during different seasons. No offense take at all. I appreciate you taking the time to add to the conversion.

Cheers!

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back