• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit - Somerset, UK (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

I'm keen to hear thoughts on this pipit I observed in Somerset yesterday (confidential site). Appreciate that image quality is beyond poor, and that identification may not be possible - images and video taken by handholding my phone to my binoculars.
I was somewhat perplexed by the strong white tramlines on the mantle and the clear white wing bars on the greater and median coverts. The edging to the tertails looked pretty clean too - giving the bird a rather stripy appearance.
Other features noted in the field were flank streaking extending down the flanks with the same intensity to the chest, no "black smudge" that I believe it typical of Meadow pipit (or at least is a commonly seen feature). The bird didn't call, and I didn't get any detail on the head, bill, legs or rump unfortunately.
It seems likely that the most likely species (Mippit) fits, but I can't recall such a striking bird before, and can't find much information on Whistleri birds. The contrasting appearance had me worried about two very unlikely vagrant candidates, despite how unlikely either would be!

Thanks in advance.​

20220228_093142.jpg
20220228_093251.jpg20220228_093144.jpg
20220228_093415.jpg20220228_093414.jpg

Left hand bird in below image:
20220228_092841.jpg

...and a fraction of video:
View attachment 20220228_093503_001.mp4

Last edited:
To be honest from the photos I couldn't tell whether it was a Pipit or Skylark, but from your description I think it's just a particularly streaky mippit

The bird on the deck and in flight, is a Lapland bunting imo.
I can sort of see where you are coming from Ken, but it was definitely a pipit and not a bunting...
As you said the braces were a bit “wide” for a Pipit.
In flight (freeze a frame around the top of the barbed wire) there is also a contrasty dark bar tram-lined with white on the wing, to my eye def not a Pipit, but what looks very much like a Lapland Bunting?

Cheers

Here’s a frame grab…..odd looking Pipit…with an extremely odd looking wing bar?

Cheers

Attachments

• 90CFE9C1-B5D2-4D00-9ACD-A15BBF82BEDA.jpeg
    90CFE9C1-B5D2-4D00-9ACD-A15BBF82BEDA.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 76
  • 49CDD5E3-7D45-4C44-9611-E186A49686F4.jpeg
    49CDD5E3-7D45-4C44-9611-E186A49686F4.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
On reflection, I should have taken on board the “handheld over bins and videod with a cellphone.”
Full marks for capturing an image period!

Of course one should always make allowances with that “set-up”, as image quality can get very “contrasty” often seen on BF with cell phone images.

Clearly, the central dark bar was not as dark as it appeared…Oh well, onwards and upwards! 😩

Thanks for the commentary, I'm happy to go with the consensus (?) that it was a particularly streaky Mippit, the features of which have been somewhat exacerbated by my very poor attempts to capture an image in a highly unconventional manner!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back