• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Playing with my new lens! (1 Viewer)

Skipton

Trevor Wood
This is a shot I took (hand held) with my new EF 300f/4LIS together with what I did with it in photoshop.
I am quite pleased with the outcome; but what do you think?
Your comments, suggestions, constructive criticism gratefully recieved.

I first cropped the image, then cloned out part of the foreground birds wing that was in the crop. Followed by levels and curves and finally added a little sharpening with USM.

Trev

Attachments

• Original.jpg
    Original.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 254
  • MallardC.jpg
    MallardC.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 265
Oh, nice!

There's tons of fine detail in the feathers without it being over-sharpened, and exposure and contrast are great.

On my monitor they're a tad on the dark side, so I copied the second one and upped the gamma just a notch and - to me - it looked better for it, but that might just be my monitor/my tastes: it's certainly not a criticism.

You could in fact, possibly get away with a bit more sharpening without losing anything from the overall image.

I like them a lot - just wish I could get at the exif info!

;)

Keith Reeder said:
Oh, nice!

There's tons of fine detail in the feathers without it being over-sharpened, and exposure and contrast are great.

On my monitor they're a tad on the dark side, so I copied the second one and upped the gamma just a notch and - to me - it looked better for it, but that might just be my monitor/my tastes: it's certainly not a criticism.

You could in fact, possibly get away with a bit more sharpening without losing anything from the overall image.

I like them a lot - just wish I could get at the exif info!

;)

Thanks, Keith.
Seems I am on the right track. Certainly enjoying my new hobbies of birding and photography. Also having a deal of fun learning Photoshop CS...... it IS a steep learning curve.
The adjusted image looks light enough on my monitor (Sony 19" TFT HS95P which has jet black shiny screen) but; reckon it must be very difficult to post pics that suit members different monitors; also depends on their calibration.

The sharpening I used in unsharp mask was Amount 90, radius 1.3, threshold 0, I have not got to grips with CS2's Smart Sharpen as yet; must give it more attention since I hear it is an improvement on USM.

Here is the EXif data:-
Exposure: 1/800 @ f/5.6
Bios value: +0.33
Program: Aperture priority
ISO: 400 (I'm sure I could have got away with ISO 100)
Focal length: obviously 300
Metering mode: average
White balance: auto

Shot RAW (always)... converted to TIFF 16bit with RawShooter 2005 (nice FREE programme which I prefer to Photoshops own) then manipulated with photoshop and saved as maximum 8bit Jpeg.

Don't know how to upload the exif with the image!?!
I use photoshop Save for Web.

Again thanks for your comments etc... much appreciated.

Trev

PS: I have uploaded it to my gallery.

Last edited:
Skipton said:
This is a shot I took (hand held) with my new EF 300f/4LIS together with what I did with it in photoshop.
I am quite pleased with the outcome; but what do you think?
Your comments, suggestions, constructive criticism gratefully recieved.

I first cropped the image, then cloned out part of the foreground birds wing that was in the crop. Followed by levels and curves and finally added a little sharpening with USM.

Trev

Amazing - the cloning is undetectable. The contrast, brightness, and details look perfect on an WXGA TFT widescreen display with an excellent graphics card. Beautifully captured subject, too. :clap:

deborahp said:
Amazing - the cloning is undetectable. The contrast, brightness, and details look perfect on an WXGA TFT widescreen display with an excellent graphics card. Beautifully captured subject, too. :clap:

Thanks for your complimentary comments, Debora.
Been many times to California and a few to other States but; never to Missouri, perhaps some day.

Trev

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back