• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please identify this (1 Viewer)

Rik Rock

I was out and about at Fairburn ings yesterday testing out a new lense for my camera(hire before you buy) and I took these pics. Can you please help me to ID them.

I think one is a spotted fly catcher(2 pics up in a tree) I havent a clue what the third picture is?????

Cheers

Rik Rock

Attachments

• s fly4.jpg
    s fly4.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 370
  • s fly 3.jpg
    s fly 3.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 348
  • mystery1.jpg
    mystery1.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 411
Hi Rik - welcome to Birdforum! Are pics 1 & 2 definitely the same bird? Pic one looks willow warbler-ish and pic 2 looks spotfly. Pic 3 could be a coal tit.

they are a bit like the "mystery guest" round in Question of Sport!

1 looks like Willow Warbler to me, I think Tim may be right on 3

EDIT: Sorry Tim, didn't see you'd also said WW for pic 1

Last edited:
I was just Happy snapping yesterday taking pics of everything not really concentrating on what they were. Pics 1&2 are defo the same bird. It could be a coal tit but it seems a little big + colour seems off.

thanks for the quick reply

Rik Rock

I am in the Coal Tit camp here. Underparts look buff instead of grey and the eye is surrounded by black (except for te white cheek). Also, the wing coverts don't seem particularly brown.

WW pics 1&2 (if the 2nd is definitely the same as pic1) and pic 3 if either Willow or Coal Tit. I can see why House Sparrow has been suggested, but it just doesn't look right.

I hope you invested in the lens anyway! Excellent quality even though the birds clearly weren't as obliging!

I was out and about at Fairburn ings yesterday testing out a new lense for my camera(hire before you buy) and I took these pics. Can you please help me to ID them.

I think one is a spotted fly catcher(2 pics up in a tree) I havent a clue what the third picture is?????

Cheers

Rik Rock

Hi Ric I believe willow warbler, spotted flycatcher, and tree sparrow cheers mate,

I was just Happy snapping yesterday taking pics of everything not really concentrating on what they were. Pics 1&2 are defo the same bird. It could be a coal tit but it seems a little big + colour seems off.

thanks for the quick reply

Rik Rock

I should zoom in on the second one, look at all the spots and flecks, sorry not been rude but (coal tit)

The OP says pics 1 & 2 are the same bird i.e. WW and the third pic is indeed Coal Tit imho.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back