• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pluvialis dominica? or fulva? (2 Viewers)

Frubecula

Portugal
Location: RNLED, Canidelo, V.N. de Gaia, Portugal, 41°8'8" N 8°39'49" W
Date: 2023-06-09

An individual next to two p. squatarola and one t. totanus.
I attach eight photos. More relevant photos on the eBird list: https://ebird.org/portugal/checklist/S140961617
I have photos from other angles, which I can provide on request for any particular detail.
Your opinion/clues for the ID, please.
Thanks.

Attachments

• _F0A8231.jpg
    _F0A8231.jpg
    1,015.8 KB · Views: 64
  • _F0A8242.jpg
    _F0A8242.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • _F0A8375.jpg
    _F0A8375.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 65
  • _F0A8465.jpg
    _F0A8465.jpg
    648 KB · Views: 67
  • _F0A8510.jpg
    _F0A8510.jpg
    835.7 KB · Views: 64
  • _F0A8527.jpg
    _F0A8527.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 69
  • _F0A8532.jpg
    _F0A8532.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 68
  • _F0A8560.jpg
    _F0A8560.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 69
Usually fulva has more speckling on the back and appear more golden, even in basic plumage. They also typically show more tibia above the knee than dominica does. This individual is a bit in the middle of the spectrum of leg length, on the long side for dominica, on the short side for fulva, but I think it is a bit more in line with dominca. As for the bill size, I find it difficult to be sure but it seems fine for dominica to me as well. Overall dominica gets my tentative vote.

I agree that the primary projection is a key characteristic, but it can be notoriously difficult to assess from photos and I don't find it helpful here to my own eyes. Others may have more ability with that.

Usually fulva has more speckling on the back and appear more golden, even in basic plumage. They also typically show more tibia above the knee than dominica does. This individual is a bit in the middle of the spectrum of leg length, on the long side for dominica, on the short side for fulva, but I think it is a bit more in line with dominca. As for the bill size, I find it difficult to be sure but it seems fine for dominica to me as well. Overall dominica gets my tentative vote.

I agree that the primary projection is a key characteristic, but it can be notoriously difficult to assess from photos and I don't find it helpful here to my own eyes. Others may have more ability with that.
Hi, Tom
Thanks a lot for your opinion and the information shared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back