• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Portable Bird Hide (1 Viewer)

PaulCountyDurham

United Kingdom
I recently bought a portable bird hide with scrim netting and other bits of camouflage. 'Tried it out today in the garden for a few hours and was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the birds settled down and took no notice of me sat around in my hide while freezing and waiting for the female sparrowhawk to turn up who is a regular visitor but is hopeless at catching the garden birds unawares. The problem I'm going to have is where to put it up. When I bought it, I had visions of just banging it up near public footpaths but another thread I posted on over the last couple of days has led to it registering that there's a decent chance that is private land. I can make enquiries, knock on doors, that sort of thing; and eventually I'll work out what is what.

My questions are: 'anyone have experience of using a portable bird hide? any advice on what has worked well and not so well, including finding spots to put it up?

Thanks,
Paul

No experience of using a hide but I have found that people are generally welcoming if you ask permission to carry out breeding bird survey work/observations on their land.
I know your plan is slightly different but I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the positive responses you receiv.
Good Luck

No experience of using a hide but I have found that people are generally welcoming if you ask permission to carry out breeding bird survey work/observations on their land.
I know your plan is slightly different but I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the positive responses you receiv.
Good Luck

Cheers Mike. There are a few places I had in mind, buzzards, owls, that sort of thing; and hadn't really thought it through how I was going to do it. With not being very bright, I had it in my mind I could bang it up backing into trees and hedges near public footpaths. Over the last couple of days it has registered that it's almost certain I am going to need permission, so, as you say I'm going to have to go 'round knocking on doors and hope for the best.

Can you tell us which make/model you bought? I thinking of getting one.

Aye, no bother.

It's the one man nitehawk hide which I bought together with some scrim netting and head camouflage, 90 quid all in including delivery.

If it helps, early observations are:

It's spacious enough to get my three-legged monopod in, camera, bag, flask of tea. It comes with a chair attached. In my opinion the chair is too far back in relation to the openings at the front which would mean sitting on the edge of the chair. 'Not a problem for me as I always envisaged being sat down/kneeling down and using the zip opening farther down. It comes with pegs to pin it down which can be done from inside the hide, you probably won't need them as it's pretty sturdy. There are openings/zips at the side of the hide also, although I'm not planning on using them. It's extremely easy to put up, just let it fall, put the chair down, set the camera up, sit down and pull the hide over you. It's not particularly difficult to put away. I would say it's heavy enough to get on your nerves if you're walking a couple of miles with it. 'All in all, it's as good as I expected for 90 quid.

I tried it out yesterday for the first time. I put it up an hour before I got inside in an attempt to let the birds get used to it. I was surprised at how close some of the birds came. I reckon I'm going to have to keep the camera on, however, which means using battery, as any movement at that range is going to be a problem.

What I don't know at the moment is how much light I'm going to be able to get. There's the option to open the openings at the side, but that increases the chances of being seen. The sun was shining yesterday but in my garden there are some pretty big trees at the back that block the light, so I'll try somewhere else and see how it works. I should say my camera has a small sensor and so the light is more important to me than some other people.

The tricky bit is going to be permission to put it up. I can think of places, e.g. fields near where I know buzzards and owls perch, at the back of pubs looking out onto fields with perches, and we have a lot of quarries 'round here, one in particular is a known spot for peregrines and I probably won't need permission to put it up there but we do have a lot of lunatics 'round here who would think it hilarious to take pot shots at me with their air rifles while I'm sat in my hide (not me in particular by the way, just anyone!). The weather for the next couple of days isn't going to be great here, so I'm going to spend that time knocking on doors, asking pub owners and having a look down a few local quarries to see where I could put it and realistically what light I can get in. Oh, and the other thing in my mind is that I'd be more than slightly disappointed if a herd of cows trampled over me, and so I'm going to have to plan for that.

I'm thinking that to have more of a chance I need to try and blend in with the natural surroundings
I don‘t think you need to worry too much about blending in. I never used a portable hide but I spent a lot of time sleeping in tents away from official campsites where all kinds of animals came really close to my tent. Animals in general don‘t seem too care too much if a structure is natural or not. If they don‘t see you and didn’t see you entering the tent they will most likely behave like you are not there.

In urban areas (and even outside them), cars can be decent blinds. I'd wager a bright orange blind would work okay, particularly in an area where the birds are used to campers. An orange lump, after all, is a lot less concerning than a two-legged giant.

Thank you for a comprehensive reply. I hope that you get some good photos.

No bother Gerald and cheers. I've done enough walking in different places now to know where the opportunities lie so something will work out! And, just typing this it's come to mind that the moors could be a great place in spring, I've walked miles for hours and not seen a soul.

I don‘t think you need to worry too much about blending in. I never used a portable hide but I spent a lot of time sleeping in tents away from official campsites where all kinds of animals came really close to my tent. Animals in general don‘t seem too care too much if a structure is natural or not. If they don‘t see you and didn’t see you entering the tent they will most likely behave like you are not there.

Movement could be the problem, David. Either way, it's case of trying it and seeing what works. When I first bought a camera I never imagined I'd get any decent pictures and so I'm back in the same situation but this time I'm certain I'll learn pretty quick what to do and what not to do.

In urban areas (and even outside them), cars can be decent blinds. I'd wager a bright orange blind would work okay, particularly in an area where the birds are used to campers. An orange lump, after all, is a lot less concerning than a two-legged giant.

Cars certainly can be but again it depends on what is usual to the bird and which bird it is. Kestrels will hover over roads as you drive past no problem, they see cars all of the time, but slow down on a deserted road and they'll move on, they're not used to a car slowing down and looking at him/her. It's boxing day here and the roads have been deserted and a buzzard was perched in a tree earlier. I stopped on the road, put my hazard lights on and took some pictures of the buzzard, it didn't budge an inch. It was still there when I left, full frame pictures but unfortunately awful light.

Hi Paul being following your posts regarding bird hide,being thinking about one myself
for some time but seem to struggle coming to any conclusion.
Private land does appear to be best bet,certainly somewhere you can get to quickly
as deciding if leaving it set up permanently comes into the mix.
Lots of factors to take into account one of mine is age wise now in late seventies
so humping photo gear plus hide causes concern with weight factor,my real problem not
a motorist so all the cards are stacked.
Have been watching a you tube guy who uses a Tarp which does leave the front quite open
but does allow you to monitor who and whats about.
As you indicated in one of your posts need to be aware of the idiots about.

Hope things progress for you.
GEORGE.

Hi Paul being following your posts regarding bird hide,being thinking about one myself
for some time but seem to struggle coming to any conclusion.
Private land does appear to be best bet,certainly somewhere you can get to quickly
as deciding if leaving it set up permanently comes into the mix.
Lots of factors to take into account one of mine is age wise now in late seventies
so humping photo gear plus hide causes concern with weight factor,my real problem not
a motorist so all the cards are stacked.
Have been watching a you tube guy who uses a Tarp which does leave the front quite open
but does allow you to monitor who and whats about.
As you indicated in one of your posts need to be aware of the idiots about.

Hope things progress for you.
GEORGE.

Cheers George.

Aye, I'm not sure I'd want to be carting it around on public transport. I would if I had no choice, but then I'm not in my late 70s. By the time you've gone from your house to get the bus or train, got off and walked to where you're going; that's potentially a few miles of walking and it would be uncomfortable. I know a spot 'round here where a couple of kingfishers have taken up residence, 'surprised to see two of them in a similar location because I thought they were highly territorial and would chase/fight over the best fishing spots. Anyway, in the morning I parked up and walked I would say 500 metres to where I was going to put the hide up, and it was uncomfortable even walking that distance: turned out to be wasted time because the place I had in mind just wasn't suitable, had a quick try at putting it up but knew instantly it wasn't going to work.

There are other types of hides, apparently the bag hides can work quite well; but again, I can't imagine these things being particularly light.

By the way, I live in East Durham but do have a look up to Whitburn and South Shields now and again so if I was ever heading up that way and you wanted a lift then no bother. Also, I go over to Wolsingham/Frosterley quite a bit, although not at the moment because the birds are thin on the ground at this time of year, and farther up past Stanhope on the moors. Again, if you fancy a change of scenery and can't get there due to not driving, I'd be happy to give you a lift. I'm guessing you live in Sunderland, only about 12 miles up the coast for me, and driving down through Chester-le-Street is an easy enough way to get to Wolsingham. It's probably the best time of year to see dipper in that area because there aren't many tourists getting on their nerves and they have free reign up and down the streams, but many of the birds have departed for warmer climbs. Pied and spotted flycatcher guaranteed in the spring.

Hi Paul thanks for your kind offer of a lift,sometimes get to the WWT Washington thats actually quite close to me as based at Castletown.
My son who also is interested but more on the scope side gets me there,both are members although his family commitments do vary.
There is a bus service drops quite close to reserve,thats really handy for me.
Nearby to me there is the river Wear where can get to just short walk from home,these sites are quite close for me.
No good for hides as dog walkers and general yobs usually passing through.
All the best for 2022 good birding.
Hope you sort a private site for your hide.

GEORGE.

Cheers George.

Aye, I'm not sure I'd want to be carting it around on public transport. I would if I had no choice, but then I'm not in my late 70s. By the time you've gone from your house to get the bus or train, got off and walked to where you're going; that's potentially a few miles of walking and it would be uncomfortable. I know a spot 'round here where a couple of kingfishers have taken up residence, 'surprised to see two of them in a similar location because I thought they were highly territorial and would chase/fight over the best fishing spots. Anyway, in the morning I parked up and walked I would say 500 metres to where I was going to put the hide up, and it was uncomfortable even walking that distance: turned out to be wasted time because the place I had in mind just wasn't suitable, had a quick try at putting it up but knew instantly it wasn't going to work.

There are other types of hides, apparently the bag hides can work quite well; but again, I can't imagine these things being particularly light.

By the way, I live in East Durham but do have a look up to Whitburn and South Shields now and again so if I was ever heading up that way and you wanted a lift then no bother. Also, I go over to Wolsingham/Frosterley quite a bit, although not at the moment because the birds are thin on the ground at this time of year, and farther up past Stanhope on the moors. Again, if you fancy a change of scenery and can't get there due to not driving, I'd be happy to give you a lift. I'm guessing you live in Sunderland, only about 12 miles up the coast for me, and driving down through Chester-le-Street is an easy enough way to get to Wolsingham. It's probably the best time of year to see dipper in that area because there aren't many tourists getting on their nerves and they have free reign up and down the streams, but many of the birds have departed for warmer climbs. Pied and spotted flycatcher guaranteed in the spring.
I have a bag hide, about the only time I've used it was to photograph a family group of Black-tailed Prairie Dogs just off the A1 in Bedfordshire and they roundly ignored me in it. It is in its own shoulder bag, sits conformally over my hip or back and weighs maybe three pounds. It's pretty much unnoticeable weight-wise.

John

Last edited:
Hi Paul thanks for your kind offer of a lift,sometimes get to the WWT Washington thats actually quite close to me as based at Castletown.
My son who also is interested but more on the scope side gets me there,both are members although his family commitments do vary.
There is a bus service drops quite close to reserve,thats really handy for me.
Nearby to me there is the river Wear where can get to just short walk from home,these sites are quite close for me.
No good for hides as dog walkers and general yobs usually passing through.
All the best for 2022 good birding.
Hope you sort a private site for your hide.

GEORGE.

Cheers George. I've had a bit of success in that the owner of the main place I had in mind has given me permission and even offered me parking space on his farm. 'Just need some decent weather now!

I have a bag hide, about the only time I've used it was to photograph a family group of Black-tailed Prairie Dogs just off the A1 in Bedfordshire and they roundly ignored me in it. It is in its own shoulder bag, sits conformally over my hip or back and weighs maybe three pounds. It's pretty much unnoticeable weight-wise.

John

'Could be a good option for anyone concerned with lugging anything heavy around then. I did consider it myself, but in the end went for something with a bit of space inside. I reckon I can manage carrying what I bought for a few miles and don't really anticipate walking that far with it. The main issue is going to be the leg work to get permission to set it up. I've spoken with a few farmers over the last couple of days, and they all said that their main concern is pictures posted on social media and as a result other people then turning up, some without bothering to ask permission. In their words, they've had a few unwanted experiences with birdwatchers. But, I have managed to gain access to a particular spot I had in mind and the owner even offered me access to his drive to park my car. The land isn't farmed, it's quiet and so I'm unlikely to see anyone all day, and there are plenty of perches for birds passing through; and it is a spot where buzzards and owls are in good numbers in the area. I had a look down a local nature reserve also, and it looks an outstanding spot, plenty of perches, fields for miles and so on, known for some interesting birds such as peregrines; but again it's ran by Durham Wildlife Trust, so I'll need permission, and with it being a site of special scientific interest I'm anticipating being told: no.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back