• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Portable Bird Hide (1 Viewer)

'Could be a good option for anyone concerned with lugging anything heavy around then. I did consider it myself, but in the end went for something with a bit of space inside. I reckon I can manage carrying what I bought for a few miles and don't really anticipate walking that far with it. The main issue is going to be the leg work to get permission to set it up. I've spoken with a few farmers over the last couple of days, and they all said that their main concern is pictures posted on social media and as a result other people then turning up, some without bothering to ask permission. In their words, they've had a few unwanted experiences with birdwatchers. But, I have managed to gain access to a particular spot I had in mind and the owner even offered me access to his drive to park my car. The land isn't farmed, it's quiet and so I'm unlikely to see anyone all day, and there are plenty of perches for birds passing through; and it is a spot where buzzards and owls are in good numbers in the area. I had a look down a local nature reserve also, and it looks an outstanding spot, plenty of perches, fields for miles and so on, known for some interesting birds such as peregrines; but again it's ran by Durham Wildlife Trust, so I'll need permission, and with it being a site of special scientific interest I'm anticipating being told: no.
I hope we are going to see the results of some of this, but please do bear in mind the requirements of the law. I'm thinking particularly of Schedule 1 birds, which include Peregrine. If DWT says no its more likely to be for a specific reason, so the more information you can give them about exactly what you intend to do the less reason they will have to say no. SSSIs can be notified for e.g. orchids which you can walk up to and nobody would bother asking permission for: horses for courses.

John

I hope we are going to see the results of some of this, but please do bear in mind the requirements of the law. I'm thinking particularly of Schedule 1 birds, which include Peregrine. If DWT says no its more likely to be for a specific reason, so the more information you can give them about exactly what you intend to do the less reason they will have to say no. SSSIs can be notified for e.g. orchids which you can walk up to and nobody would bother asking permission for: horses for courses.

John

I'll certainly be posting anything I manage to capture although the early indications from landowners is to not disclose the sites. I'm anticipating needing a lot of patience and putting in a lot of time, but just one decent picture of a bird that I have pretty much no chance of capturing without a hide will make a few days of waiting worthwhile.

In terms of DWT, with it being a bank holiday today I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and explain the situation. 'Worth a try but as I say, I'm expecting to be told it's not an option. And, on the requirements of the law relating to birds, 'seems like I have a bit of reading to do in that respect.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back