• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible 1st for Austria - Swift sp. (1 Viewer)

Bitis

Austria
This Swift sp. was posted on iNaturalist as a Common Swift. Some people suggested it could be a Pallid Swift, which would be a 1st for Austria.
What do you think?

I guess the bird is gone by now and you have only this one picture? In that case you must be very brave to ID it as Pallid. There are two generations of coverts on the wing and the new one are blackish, the old one bleached under African sun

I guess the bird is gone by now and you have only this one picture? In that case you must be very brave to ID it as Pallid. There are two generations of coverts on the wing and the new one are blackish, the old one bleached under African sun
Unfortunately yes, the finder said, that this is the only picture he took of this bird.
Thank you very much for your thoughts! I'm curious what the decision of the AFK will be.

Pallids are tricky.

We had a Pallid Swift (possibly more than one) on Scilly last year and a ton of people had to set eyes on it before a consensus could be reached. One thing I did notice about it was the more languid flight. It also had noticeably contrasting primaries and secondaries. Whether those are clinching IDs, I do not know, but they did stand out. The bird put on quite a show for us - I nearly brushed it with my finger tips as it flew over my head - so at least there are a ton of good pics of it out there.

I think it can be a really good "tool" for some things and there are a lot of experts that help with ID. Maybe not everything is identified correctly, but with a little care it's very valuable IMO.

So do you think it's a Common Swift then?
I just don't like the formula of the site: unknown people with unknown qualifications/expertise give haphazard IDs which turns the obs. into "research grade" (whatever that means). It results in an insanely high ratio of error from what I've seen, at least back when I decided to check it out for Turkey.
As for the swift, I'm not seeing much reason for it to not be a Common; but I don't think you'll be getting a definite answer from this photo only.

I just don't like the formula of the site: unknown people with unknown qualifications/expertise give haphazard IDs which turns the obs. into "research grade" (whatever that means). It results in an insanely high ratio of error from what I've seen, at least back when I decided to check it out for Turkey.
As for the swift, I'm not seeing much reason for it to not be a Common; but I don't think you'll be getting a definite answer from this photo only.
Fair enough, you are not wrong, it has some flaws. But it's also a huge amount of data. Would be probably impossible to just let only "experts" check it. And for some specific taxons I know that people one would call "expert" check the data regularly. Also if you use the data for data bases or something like that, the data is there, you have to check it yourself though. It's really valuable also if you are looking for a specific species and want to know locations, for example if you are on holidays.
So yes, it hast some flaws, and you have to use it with care, but I think it can be really useful and valuable.
Thank you also for your thoughts about the Swift (y)

Pallids are tricky.

We had a Pallid Swift (possibly more than one) on Scilly last year and a ton of people had to set eyes on it before a consensus could be reached. One thing I did notice about it was the more languid flight. It also had noticeably contrasting primaries and secondaries. Whether those are clinching IDs, I do not know, but they did stand out. The bird put on quite a show for us - I nearly brushed it with my finger tips as it flew over my head - so at least there are a ton of good pics of it out there.
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back