• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little or eared grebe, Baghdad, Jan 25 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, I think all photos are of little grebes but I have never seen one in non-breeding plumage nor in this kind of habitat. They were swimming, quite far apart from each other, in what is a rather large artificial lake by the Martyr's Monument in Baghdad. The lake embankment is stone so - the only reeds were the two or three spindly stalks near the first grebe, though there may have reeds on the far side of the lake. Photos 1 and 2 are one grebe. The pinkish bill and shape of the head cap I think mean it is a little grebe. Photos 3 and 4 are the same grebe, also I think a little grebe because of the white mark at the base of the bill. Photos 5 and 6 are of a third grebe. And photo 7 is a fourth. This is the only one that seems to have all dark bill. I think that all are little grebes but I am hoping I am wrong on at least one:)
Hoping for confirmation or correction:)
thank you in advance for taking the time on my posting
steve

Attachments

• DSCN5975.JPG
    DSCN5975.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
  • fullsizeoutput_1388.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1388.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • fullsizeoutput_139a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_139a.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • fullsizeoutput_1398.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1398.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • fullsizeoutput_138c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_138c.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • fullsizeoutput_138d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_138d.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • fullsizeoutput_138a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_138a.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 26
All little grebes (structure). The habitat isn't unusual if they're not breeding. I've seen them in way weirder habitat than that in the Middle East...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back