• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PowerShot A70 & Pentax PF65 or 80 ED for digiscoping? (1 Viewer)

chrispie

I believe I may have posted this question in the wrong area earlier, so I apologize if you are reading this a second time. I am about to purchase the Pentax scope (either PF-65 or 80) and already have a PowerShot A70. Would this combo be sufficient to attempt digiscoping? If so, what would I need to connect the camera to scope. Now here's a dumb question--how would I keep the camera lens in the extended position to connect them? Would the Pentax PF65 be as good (or good enough) as the 80 to digiscope? Can I digiscope with a zoom lens on the scope, or do I need a fixed lens for digiscoping? Sorry to bombard you with all these questions. I'm still making my way through all the threads on this subject. It's a lot of information to absorb and I'm anxious to get started. Thanks for your input.

I'm not sure about vigneting with the A70. In terms of digiscoping I assume you want to attach the camera to the eyepiece. This is what I would do:
1. Go to lensmateonline.com. I would get the 37mm adapter fot A70.
2. In term of eyepieces, I prefer a fixed 20mm (Pentax XW20 ~$280) than the zoom. This eyepiece has a 43mm thread and all you need to attach the camera is a 37-43mm step ring (~$6).
3. Another option is to get the Williamsoptics DCL28 37mm thread 1.25"eyepiece; it will allow you to attach the camera directely to the eyepiece.
I have both the 20-60X zoom eyepiece adn the XW20. I'm now using the XW 20 all the time, both for birding and digiscoping. It gives 26X magnification with the pentax PF80A.The pentax scope is great. Hope this help some.

chrispie said:
I believe I may have posted this question in the wrong area earlier, so I apologize if you are reading this a second time. I am about to purchase the Pentax scope (either PF-65 or 80) and already have a PowerShot A70. Would this combo be sufficient to attempt digiscoping? If so, what would I need to connect the camera to scope. Now here's a dumb question--how would I keep the camera lens in the extended position to connect them? Would the Pentax PF65 be as good (or good enough) as the 80 to digiscope? Can I digiscope with a zoom lens on the scope, or do I need a fixed lens for digiscoping? Sorry to bombard you with all these questions. I'm still making my way through all the threads on this subject. It's a lot of information to absorb and I'm anxious to get started. Thanks for your input.

Or you could buy a lens adapter for the a70, canon part number LA-DC52C, then search ebay for an F-ADAPTER. the lens adapter fits onto the camera and the f-adapter screws onto the lens adapter and the whole thing is then fastened to your scope eye piece. the guy on ebay sells two different sized f-adapters depending on the size of your scope eyepiece.
cheers clen

Thanks, Clen. I've seen that F-Adaptor on E-bay before and wondered about it. Looked like he had a Canon set up in his photos. Appreciate the feedback.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back