• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

presumed Mediterranean x Common Gull hybrid (1 Viewer)

Dean Nicholson

Cloacal Protuberant.
Had the attached 1w Gull near Grimsby, Lincolnshire on 20th Dec 2022....

When first found (at distance) it was stood amongst BHG's and i initial thoughts was a Med Gull but was slightly confused by its slightly larger size and subtly darker mantle, it also looked to have a rather long yellow-green toned Common-like bill.... after a flush the bird disappeared for nearly an hour when it suddenly appeared on its own a lot closer, and the confusion started again!
For all intents and purposes it's like a 1w Med Gull but with a Common Gull bill and oddly yellowy tones to the dark legs (better seen in life than on these shots), it also lacked strong eye-crescents and the g coverts had a subtle but definite brown wash to them (as opposed to the contrasting very pale grey of Med)... as it flew off the underwing was perhaps slightly too well marked than seen on the average Med?
I've seen young Meds in the past with pale-ish horn coloured bills but never with yellow/green tones like this?

So i believe the most likely explanation is a Med x Common hybrid but am open to ideas if anyone else has any better theories?

Cheers
Dean

Attachments

• DSCN2427.JPG
    DSCN2427.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 128
  • DSCN2428.JPG
    DSCN2428.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 116
  • DSCN2430.JPG
    DSCN2430.JPG
    800.9 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN2442.JPG
    DSCN2442.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN2424.JPG
    DSCN2424.JPG
    973.2 KB · Views: 126
Hello,

thanks for commenting Jörn! Do you think it is one, or do you want to say it could either/well be Common x Black headed Gull hybrid or a Mediterranean x Common Gull hybrid?

I cant say much about this bird= its above my paygrade= I hope for comments.

I have seen 1cy Med Gulls with darker mantles=about the same value as Black-headed Gulls. But this one really looks dark-backed. Dean, do you have pictures with Black headed Gulls in direct comparison? Thanks!

I am not sure what it is, as i am not as experienced in Gull hybrids as in hybrids in other groups , biut I know that common x blackheaded gull also exists
Good link thanks..... In reviewing i'm happy to consider that the bird in the OP could well be a Common x Black-headed hybrid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back