• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prices for Nikon 10x42 SE and ? (1 Viewer)

ksbird/foxranch

I just returned from a visit to Michigan. I met an old college buddy who is the lawyer/trustee handling the liquidation of a chain store that must have either sold Nikon Optics in the past or had samples of Nikon products.

He wanted me to buy 3 pairs of what he thought were Nikon Superior E 10x42 binoculars. None of them had boxes, papers or Identifications except that one pair had a very clear store sku label with the Brand: Nikon, the Model: Superior E and the Size: 10x42, and of course the price which had so many crossouts (x-outs) of prices it was not easy to read this area, but the last discounted "Going out of business sale" price was "$725, no box, no papers".

I was told that almost all New Boxed Merchandise had been sold to other retailers or taken back by companies against their accounts payables due from this closed business. He is willing to ship them to me in one lot for $1500+ shipping and Insurance. That might run $50.

I took some time looking at these binoculars and something struck me immediately; while the pebble finish, dimensions, size of eyepieces, weight (these are surprisingly heavy binoculars) and just about everything else is identical for the 3 binoculars, 3 things give me pause. So here I am. I'll list what I noted below and maybe people can respond. The view through these binoculars is razor sharp and very contrasty. Overall they are every bit as good as the 10x42 KOMZ/Baigish IF binoculars that I usually carry in the car on trips because they are so military/waterproof/rugged and are rated the sharpest overall binocular in the world by Holger Merlitz. The Fields of View were comparable between the 2 binoculars as well. All that being said these "possible Superior E 10x42s" are spectacular. The focus is firm, the grip is great (the weight is high but not obnoxious), and the view is spectacular. They even have enough IP distance and I like bins with at least 78mm IP distance/spread.

Here is what I also noticed
#1 Nikon did not seem to mark on the body of the binocular, what the model was, simply Nikon and 10x42. The field of view might be there too but the markings are so understated they almost blend into the body. Is this the way all the 10x42 Superior E bins are marked (or not marked)?

#2 The serial number strip on the 2 binoculars that the store had left completely unlabeled, was slightly different in appearance compared to the pair marked by the store as being a Superior E Nikon 10x42. The size of the serial number slips was slightly different as was the numbering font. Has anyone seen this before?

#3 I am familiar with Nikon coatings (and I'm not always complimentary about what I know about them after selling/and/training-photographers-on Nikon products from 1991-1999). So when I looked at the multicoatings on the "store labeled" Superior E bin and compared them to the 2 bins not labeled, I could detect a subtle difference in the multicoatings. There was absolutely no way to distinguish the difference in the coatings when looking through the binoculars, which all had great views, but I have to wonder about binoculars with slightly different serial number strips also having slightly different multicoatings as viewed during a visual inspection.

I also don't know if $520 a pair for "likely demo", unboxed, Nikon Superior E 10x42 bins is a good deal. The glass in the eyepieces and the objectives look untouched and perfect. The collimation was perfect. The soft rubber eyecups weren't all greased up either. In fact, there was none of that greasy look that bins can get when handled allot.

Compared to New Nikon 10x42 SEs in the box with papers etc. even $715 was a very low price, considering the bins were likely demos. So what do people out there with experience handling Nikons say about the Nikon SE 10x42s they've seen, and does anyone know if the warranty Nikon offers would cover "no papers" bins like these. I did buy a case of Nikon 8x40 Action Extreme bins for $46+shipping each, but these "possible SE" bins are much sharper than the last beat-up pair of Action Extreme 10x50s he had. So let me know if you have answers to these questions. Thanks

Right after I wrote this (while I was posting my question the Eagle Optics post about SEs went up) I read the post about Eagle Optics and the SEs. So now I have the price floor straight. In fact maybe one pair of the SEs that I have is the latest model and the other 2 pairs were the first model, which would explain the subtle differences. The close up view of the 10x42 SEs in the Eagle Optics website also confirmed that the bins I am looking at ARE in fact Nikon 10x42 SEs. But I'd still like to have the advice of people who have handled these bins before throwing $1500+ at them.

Last edited:
#1 Nikon did not seem to mark on the body of the binocular, what the model was, simply Nikon and 10x42. The field of view might be there too but the markings are so understated they almost blend into the body. Is this the way all the 10x42 Superior E bins are marked (or not marked)?

This is consistent with Nikon using the same prism enclosure and EP assembly with all the SE bins.

My Nikon 8x32 SE just have a label on the left side of the prism enclosure that says in gold raised letter Nikon (with forward slanted type) then 8x32 then 7.5° field of view. No mention of SE on the bin itself.

The 6 digit serial on my SE is on the underside of the left of the prism enclosure under plastic cover.

Of course this isn't to say the bins you've seen are SEs (I haven't seen them) but it's consistent. Then again I don't know if it's consistent with other Nikon models.

If it were me I'd haggle a bit more on the price: I'd say it was OK but not a great deal.

Over the last year I have bought two NIB SE's, one 8x32 and a 10x42. I can't remember for sure, but I think I paid around $650.00 for the 10x42 from Adorama Camera in NY. The 8x32 was less than $500.00, an ebay sale. Both included boxes and new paperwork.

If I were you, I would buy one pair for $500.00, but $1,500.00 seems high to me for the lot, considering no boxes or paperwork, maybe $1,200.00-$1,300.00. But if you want a like new SE real bad, this opportunity is right there. It's hard to guess what they would go for individually on ebay without the boxes or paperwork, not that the Nikon box is any real treat. You could search the completed listings for Nikon SE.

John

Price seems high to me

I've seen three go by on ebay lately in mint condition for about $380 each. You can do an Advanced Search and check Completed Items. I was surprised at how low the prices were. I've only looked through one pair in a store and was very impressed. I think you would be happy with them, but if you just want one pair, I'd watch for a used on on auction. Also, I see eagleoptics.com has them for $699, new with free shipping.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/nikon/nikon-premier-se-10x42-binocular

Does anyone know if and how Nikon's new warranty program works in the USA on binoculars intended for the USA market but not receipts or other papers? Thanks all

I agree with BinoBoy, the one I watched went for $388 in late Feb. then for whatever reason relisted and sold for $380, maybe we watched the same binocular.;) I just like to watch on Ebay once in a while. I bought my 10SE for less than that, a steal really. You don't always see the good deals on Ebay esp. if it is buy it now.;) I don't think I would want to sell mine right now on Ebay. I might consider a trade for a 8SE.;)
Regards,Steve

Does anyone know if and how Nikon's new warranty program works in the USA on binoculars intended for the USA market but not receipts or other papers? Thanks all
Nikon USA has been very good to me with their "No Fault" warranty on binoculars. It's basically $10 plus shipping both ways. I've had two SE's cleaned and checked and the total cost was less than $40 USD (I paid a little extra for insurance to Nikon's repair facility). Turnaround time was about 10 days for each binocular and they did excellent work. One had some fungus in the optical path and they removed that...under warranty I believe. Maybe they just felt sorry for me and cleaned the second free of charge...I don't remember the details.

I've been told they'll fix whatever comes in the door, with or without receipts.
I suggest you call and verify if that's still true.
http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Service-And-Repair.page

John

ksbird/foxranch #2 The serial number strip on the 2 binoculars that the store had left completely unlabeled said:
To the best of my recollection, the 10 x 42 SE was the first SE. It was first marketed in 1995. The 8 x 32 and 12 x 50 versions came out 2 or 3 years later.

I wish I knew how to determine their manufacturing dates. That said, I have what I think is a very early 10 x 42. SN #005xxx. I bought it used, in pristine condition, box and all, from a Camera dealer a few years ago. I also have a recent 8 x 32. SN #505xxx. I bought it new last year from Eagle Optics. They told me at that time that it was the last one they had left. Like you observed above in 2., the serial number strips on mine are different and the font is different; the numbers are larger on the 8 x 32 and the strip on the 10 x 42 is longer and narrower than the one on the 8 x 32.

And, as you mentioned above in 3., there is also a subtle difference in the coatings on their objective lenses. I don't see any difference in their ocular coatings.

Those are the only differences I see.

Bob

PS: I looked at the coatings again this morning. The 10 x 42's have a strong magenta tint on the objectives. The 8 x 32 objectives have a dominant green tint with a magenta undertone. The oculars on both are green with magenta undertones.

Last edited:
Price is too high.

Nikon will fix any Nikon bino for $10 plus $10 shipping (no papers necessary). In spite of what recent marketing efforts may have lead you to believe, this is the same warranty that has existed for all Nikon binos and scope bodies for the past 10 years or more.

--AP

thanks to all for the help. With this info in hand I went back and discussed the situation. I think I might have to buy all three pairs to get them now, but not if I wait a bit. I have had the price go down to $1300 for the three + shipping. There is a former staff member at the closed business who would like the buy the unit with the store tag and might pay $525 for it. If so I'd be allowed to buy what I think now are the newer model 10SEs for $800 + shipping (about $30 but I'd be waiting a while for that).

With no boxes and papers it seems like these 10SEs wouldn't be any better than eBay stuff, except I have seen them and they are optically perfect and NOT trashed out on the body and eyecups. I normally don't stock expensive bins on the ranch because I can't sell them and this year will likely be slower than normal (except 2 years ago when a very late 21F degree frost April 20th killed everything and we had no birds because we had no flowers thus no insects).

I've had 2 friends bring over their 10SEs so I could check them out again. Does anyone else think these binoculars are heavy for such a small binocular? I have huge Zeiss Hensoldt 10x50s with rubber armor used by the Bundeswehr but the 10SEs are so small you wouldn't think they would be so heavy. In any case the grip surface is great so they aren't likely to slip out of your hands.

I am pretty sure I will really only want one pair of these bins. I can wait around for someone to buy one of the pairs during the liquidation, and then try to buy just one of the 2 pairs left. I hope it works out because the more I look through these bins, the better they seem.

Does anyone else think these binoculars are heavy for such a small binocular? I have huge Zeiss Hensoldt 10x50s with rubber armor used by the Bundeswehr but the 10SEs are so small you wouldn't think they would be so heavy. In any case the grip surface is great so they aren't likely to slip out of your hands.

I don't know the weight off the top of my head, but my 10x42 SEs feel much lighter than my 8x42 Ultravids which in turm feel very light compared to my buddy's 10x42 SLCs, so to me they do not feel heavy. I like their ergonomics, but the 8x32s feel even better in my rather small hands.

John

They weigh about 26 oz, less than most other 10x42s. These days you can get them on e-bay minty for about $400, which is kind of shocking. They're not that easy to find anymore, and IMO prices are bound to climb again.

Really good binoculars like these don't lose much value long term. I wish I still had the 804EDs I sold 6 years ago.

They are lighter and more compact than my 804's. They share the same prism housing and oculars with the 8 x 32's. Only the objective tubes are different. I really don't think of them as "big" at all.

$800.00 IS pretty steep! Too bad you can't get all three for around $1200.00. You would have more room to maneuver then. They were selling for around $1000.00 2 or 3 years ago at Eagle Optics as I recall, so any price significantly under that is probably an excellent buy.

Bob

Last edited:
Sorry my second post was confusing on pricing. I'm being offered all three pairs now for $1300 + $50 shipping. There is someone who wants the store-marked pair and then the last two pairs should sell to me for about $800 + $30 shipping. This is still a tiny bit higher than definitely used models on eBay, and I had the luxury of trying out all three for 20 minutes each inside and outside. By the way the 2 unmarked pairs have longer thinner serial number strips and a longer serial number. I am fairly sure this is the latest model and the marked-pair are the first model 10x42 Superior E. I can be patient while I wait for the former employee to make up his mind on the marked pair of 10x42s. In the meantime I'm canvasing my local friends to see if someone wwants to split the $830 to get a pair of the 10x42s.

I guess that the sensation of weight comes from the fact that these are at best, mid-sized binoculars. You get the feeling that every bit of space inside the binoculars is full of glass, or that there is a metal housing under the pebble finish. It's the kind of feeling that makes you worry about dropping these bins on a hard surface.

Those are good prices, I think.

The SE's are anything but fragile. I've put 3 different pairs through all kinds of use during the last 8 years and never needed a collimation. In my experience they're a good deal more rugged than the Swift 804.

The soft covering should help cushion the hard knocks one experiences handling binoculars. The Nikon SEs are precision built instruments and will probably take the shock of a 3-4 foot fall on concrete. Of course no one wants to subject their binoculars to abuse. Glass is very strong and unless the mating surfaces between the metal and glass are not precise, creating stress points, IMO you should not worry. I've seen 60 year old binoculars take incredible abuse and still stay together. The rule of thumb is, the higher the quality the binocular is, the less you have to worry about anything save unreasonable use. The Nikon SE, is very well constructed, believe me. One day I became careless while looking through binoculars from a high wooden deck. They were lined up on the top rail, and I accidentally knocked a pair of Fujinon 8x30 porro IF rubber covered binoculars off the rail. It fell inside, and, wouldn't you know it, bounced up and went sideways through the vertical railings to the concrete driveway below. This deck was above the garage, and the fall was about 10 feet. (some of the techy readers could estimate the velocity upon impact) I expected the worst when I picked them up, but the binocular Gods were with me that day. No injury except a barely discernable marring of the rubber covering. Those Fujinons are built to military specs. Now that is real abuse. I was really just lucky. John

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back