• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Probable Madeiran Storm-petrel off Agadir (Morocco) (1 Viewer)

It's either Madeiran or Monteiro's. As far as I know there is no way ( at present ) to ID them at sea, as they are 'split' on vocalisations, genetics and time of breeding only.

Chris

I find it very hard to exclude Storm Petrel from these pictures...
The wings look too short for Madeiran Petrel, and the pale bar on the upperwing looks very thin, matching the pale tips to the greater coverts of a first-year Storm Petrel.
The underwing pattern is difficult to judge here, but the white underwing bar can be difficult to see in the field, and may even be lacking in a few birds.

As others have commented, Madeiran and Monteiro's (as well as Cape Verde and the proposed fourth cryptic species in the so-called 'band-rumped complex', Grant's Storm Petrel) are all extremely difficult to identify to taxon level at sea....but we don't have to worry about any of them in this case. The broad-based, short-armed/long-handed wing shape (somewhat reminiscent of a large hirundine) permit confident identification of the Moroccan petrel as a Wilson's. It is difficult to determine from these images whether or not there is any toe projection beyond the tail (it could easily disappear with this level of softness) but it has been established that, at times, Wilson's travel with the feet fully retracted and this can lead to them being mistaken for one of the band-rumped complex.

The comparatively weak looking carpal bar is likely to be an effect of the strong cast shadow across the far upperwing in the middle shot, but in any case the carpal bar is not always so conspicuous in Wilson's at sea.

I attach an scan of an illustration taken from Petrels Night and Day, by Magnus Robb and Killian Mullarney, published by The Sound Approach, a 'must have' for anyone with a keen interest in this fascinating group! For more information see http://www.soundapproach.co.uk/books/petrels.php

I'd also recommend the excellent new guide to Storm-petrels and Bulwer's Petrel in the North Atlantic Seabirds series, by Bob Flood and Ashley Fisher.

Regards,

Killian Mullarney

Attachments

• Band-rumped&Wilson's comparison.jpg
    Band-rumped&Wilson's comparison.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 326
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back