• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Product Review: Oberwerk SE 8 x 32 ED. (1 Viewer)

Arrived today in the UK, a week after being dispatched from Italy. Only had a quick play, appear bright, sharp and with great "pop" but focusing is very stiff, hinge very stiff but maybe no bad thing and eyecup feel very cheap/flimsy. Look forward to giving them more use over the coming weeks.

Nb:

Several other user testimonies of the Oberwerk SE in this ongoing CN thread:

Mini review on the Oberwerk SE 8x32 E
I was fortunate recently in being loaned the Oberwerk for a few days and hopefully these comments may help interested parties.
First off I was immediately struck by the large size and weight of the binocular. It could easily be taken for an 8x42. The objective lenses are quite far apart and with my average sized hands my middle finger was just able to operate the rather clunky focussing wheel which nevertheless turned smoothly enough once engaged. There was a bit of play before the screw in/out mechanism took up the drive. Weight was hefty for an 8x32 at just under 800 gms. The body covering in green rubber (I think) gave plenty of grip and the eyecups operated nicely and were pretty sturdy. The adjustable eyepiece was just right for me on the zero setting indicating (to me at least) correct basic setting at the factory.
The porro prism design and the quite far apart objectives lenses, results in excellent depth perception and what a view it is. The image is quite spectacular. There was no chromatic aberration that I could see with the view being exceptionally clean with no obvious colour bias. Colours were rendered in neutral and accurate terms. Contrast was very good in low flat light, but the the most impressive thing for me was the superb definition. I had the glass on a tripod(not all the time) and the detail really came through, being razor sharp. In fact I don't think I have seen better image quality in any of the Alpha glasses. The overall optical quality was amazing.

If one can live with the downsides of size and weight and the slightly iffy focussing this is a remarkable binocular and is one of those rare instruments whereby you forget you are looking through one, so immersive is the view. Many thanks to Neil English for the loan of the glass and congratulations to him on his new book Choosing and Using Binoculars. Every optics user will find it useful.

Good Evening Phil,

Many thanks indeed for your review of the Oberwerk SE 8 x 32. This unit does indeed have exceptional optics that punch way above its modest retail price! It was a real eye opener for me too!

Thanks also for the thumbs up on the book!

With best wishes,

Neil.

Good Evening Phil,

Many thanks indeed for your review of the Oberwerk SE 8 x 32. This unit does indeed have exceptional optics that punch way above its modest retail price! It was a real eye opener for me too!

Thanks also for the thumbs up on the book!

With best wishes,

Neil.
Think how nice it would be OB could put these optics in a more classic body , like the APM 6x30 or Nikon E and Swarovski Habichts. Their size and weight put them in a kind of awkward category.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yeah it would be nice to see such ergonomic developments but I personally don’t mind its heftiness. In my own hands it’s perfectly balanced. Indeed it kind of reminds me of the Nikon Action EX 7 x 35 which is also built like a proverbial tank with its thick rubber armouring. My test unit came in at 798g: the exact same as the Obie.
Holger Merlitz has discussed the benefits of using mass to deliver more inertia when handholding binoculars on page 150 of his book. Indeed, he states that there are studies that have been conducted on this stabilisation effect, and according to him, the optimum is about 800g!

That said, the Obie will work great in a hide or sitting on a window sill glassing birds in the garden, or even on an observation deck, where carrying it around for longer periods is not necessary.

With best wishes,

Neil

Hi Paul,

Yeah it would be nice to see such ergonomic developments but I personally don’t mind its heftiness. In my own hands it’s perfectly balanced. Indeed it kind of reminds me of the Nikon Action EX 7 x 35 which is also built like a proverbial tank with its thick rubber armouring. My test unit came in at 798g: the exact same as the Obie.
Holger Merlitz has discussed the benefits of using mass to deliver more inertia when handholding binoculars on page 150 of his book. Indeed, he states that there are studies that have been conducted on this stabilisation effect, and according to him, the optimum is about 800g!

That said, the Obie will work great in a hide or sitting on a window sill glassing birds in the garden, or even on an observation deck, where carrying it around for longer periods is not necessary.

With best wishes,

Neil
I agree with everything you said , it certainly is a beast for a 32mm bino. It’s like a heavy duty work optic, they probably could take a fall and be just fine. Maybe a choice would be nice, like with the armored or leatherette versions of the Habicht’s. I really don’t want to knock them, but I feel the build is not quite on the same level as the glass. I’m stunned at how good this glass is for $250. Optically imo (and I think you concurred in your in depth well written review) these have better edges than the Swaro Habicht‘s, sharper and brighter than the venerable Nikon E2’s and have better CA correction than Nikon’s top of the line SE’s.

Im always wondering if this is an evolution of modern manufacturing benefits with lasting quality materials in optics and coatings, and as such will they last as long as the the aforementioned binos or will performance wane over time.

Paul

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back