• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Product Review: Oberwerk SE 8 x 32 ED. (2 Viewers)

Hello,

My belief, not based on any empirical evidence, is that the quality of MIC optics is dependent on how demanding the importer may be. Zeiss, Nikon and Vortex brand MIC products, presumably with an eye to quality control. Kevin seems to be at least as demanding in keeping an eye on his MIC products.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Neil,

It seemed there was a lot skepticism about Fiske's intital high praise for the OB SE over on CN, but your review, which was more detailed yet concise, and compared the OB SE favorably to the 2017+ 8x30 E2, which I have and find to be excellent, got me interested in the OB SE series. Now that other BF members have echoed your praises, it seems most of that initial skepticism has been eroded.

I predicted that China would be able to make binoculars on par with the Japanese about 10 years ago on Cloudy Nights. Kudos to Kevin for swimming against the current of the endless proliferation of roofs and coming out with "new and improved" porro and to his Chinese partner company for realizing the design.

Hopefully, the qualilty control will continue after the initial batch.

I already have an 8x32 SE, which I'm very happy with, so I will wait to read the reviews of the 10x42 and 12x50 SE models and see if they follow suit with the 8x32. The ED glass will have more of a challenge at 10X and 12X, so it will be interesting to see what follows. Based on the OB 8x32 SE, I'm optimistic about the other models.

Brock
Did you also predict that in ten years into the future the presidents son would get cought peddling his fathers position and giving him a cut🤪😝🤫. Seriously though Brock, what did you think about the Oberwerk ED 8x32? How do you think they compared to your Nikon E2 and SE? Are you considering adding the 10x42 to your collection.

Btw, I didn’t see anything on the binoculars that said Oberwerk SE, only on the web sight is SE mentioned. The binoculars have ED on them ,not SE. I think it was just a marketing tool to call it an SE, which of course means special edition not superior E as with the Nikons.

Paul

I only know it from IS binoculars and that affects the electronics.

2 years is not a good thing...

Andreas
Has anyone thought about the 2 year guarantee?

Why so short?

Andreas
The OB SE has the same warranty as Oberwerk's other binoculars:

Limited Warranty – LW Series, Sport HD Series, Sport ED Series, Mariner Series, Ultra Series, and Deluxe Series Binoculars – up to 2 years after purchase date

After that, repairs are performed by Corey and his son. Here's the blurb from Kevin's website:

Oberwerk has partnered with Suddarth Optical Repair for out-of-warranty repair of Oberwerk binoculars. Suddarth Optical Repair is regarded by many as the finest binocular repair shop in the USA.

Repair Procedure-
  • Print and fill out the SOR Repair Form.
  • Carefully package the binocular to protect it during shipping.
  • An estimated cost to repair will be provided at no charge. SOR will contact you with an estimate for replacement parts, labor, and return shipping before doing any work. At that time, you have three options-

1. Provide payment info to proceed with the repair
  2. Exchange binocular for a new binocular under the Oberwerk Lifetime Exchange Program.
  3. Decline repair and pay for return shipping.

Here are the terms of the Lifetime Exchange Program.

Lifetime Exchange Program​

• Customers may exchange an Oberwerk binocular, regardless of age or condition, for a new binocular of the same model, at 25% off the regular price.
  • When a binocular is seriously damaged or needs extensive repair, exchanging it for a new unit is often less expensive than repairing the binocular.
  • If the original binocular is a discontinued model, exchange will be honored for the most-similar model (see table below).

So, while the OB SE warranty is only 2 years, it will be repaired by Corey, whose repair costs are usually reasonble, and if it can't be repaired or the repair costs are high, you can buy a new one (or similar model if the orginal is no longer made) at 25% off the regular price.

Brock

So, while the OB SE warranty is only 2 years, it will be repaired by Corey, whose repair costs are usually reasonble, and if it can't be repaired or the repair costs are high, you can buy a new one (or similar model if the orginal is no longer made) at 25% off the regular price.
That may still be acceptable for binoculars for 200 euros, but if it goes into the region of 400 dollars and significant more it could become expensive!
I just don't understand the sense of the measure, why not at least 10 years guarantee and is good?

It's always a winner-loser combination, the customer always has to pay, either for a repair or for a new pair of binoculars.

There is also a psychological component, many potential customers will ask why only a 2-year guarantee, does the manufacturer not have confidence in his products?
Others who are just out of warranty will think twice about buying a new one if the first one broke after a short time.

The cheap glasses will probably hardly be repaired, if you have binoculars for $200, the effort is often not worth it, a new one would cost $150, for $50 you get somewhere else 8-year guarantee more.

One reason for me not to buy IS binoculars is the short warranty period, which would also be far too short for me.

Andreas

Last edited:
That may still be acceptable for binoculars for 200 euros, but if it goes into the region of 400 dollars and significant more it could become expensive!
I just don't understand the sense of the measure, why not at least 10 years guarantee and is good?

It's always a winner-loser combination, the customer always has to pay, either for a repair or for a new pair of binoculars.

There is also a psychological component, many potential customers will ask why only a 2-year guarantee, does the manufacturer not have confidence in his products?
Others who are just out of warranty will think twice about buying a new one if the first one broke after a short time.

The cheap glasses will probably hardly be repaired, if you have binoculars for $200, the effort is often not worth it, a new one would cost $150, for $50 you get somewhere else 8-year guarantee more.

One reason for me not to buy IS binoculars is the short warranty period, which would also be far too short for me.

Andreas
Andreas,

I have shaky hands and would like to buy an IS bin again (I had the first iteration 10x30 IS; two samples, in the first the image wandered, which gave me nausea, the second was stable), but the price has gone up considerably since I bought one. I like the newer, slimmer 32mm 10x and 12x versions, which actually look like binoculars instead of footballs, but I haven't bitten due to the short warranty period. From what I've read of buyers' experiences, repairs are costly after the warranty period, as high as half the price of the the origional price.

The price of most of Oberwerk's bins (except the binotelescopes, which have a 3-year warranty) is fairly low, so my guess is the short warranty period is less about confidence than it is profit margins. Although Kevin is trying to reach beyond the astronomy market with his smaller configuration bins including the OB SEs, most of his bins are bought by amateur astronomers, most of whom use telsecopes, not binoculars. It's a niche market.

So their low price and the cost of repairs from Corey, which including shipping is a minimum of $100 (for re-alignment), makes it sound as if the binoculars are disposable like most Chinese products.

I'm waiting to see what OB 8x32 SE owners ' experience is with QC and repairs. Someone suggested that the first ones sold were "cherry picked" and wondered if subsequent batches would be as good.

I'm interested in the 10x and 12x SEs, so I will be following the QC and repair history of the 8x SE. But if the image quality is as good as the 8x and QC remains, I'd consider buying a higher power model.

It's still exciting for me as a porro lover to see new porros with higher quality than the typical $79-$100 Chinese made porros, which are clones offered by many companies, and whose images may be sharp in the center, but have wonky focusers or eyecups that slip or other QC issues.

The fact that OB SEs are WP and FP makes them useful to birders and hunters who go out in adverse weather conditions, which gives them wider appeal. And from what buyers have reported, the SE focuser doesn't seem to be as hard to turn as the Swaro Habicht porros, which is also a good thing. If an OB SE lasts me 10 years, I'd be happy with that.

Brock

Andreas,

I have shaky hands and would like to buy an IS bin again (I had the first iteration 10x30 IS; two samples, in the first the image wandered, which gave me nausea, the second was stable), but the price has gone up considerably since I bought one. I like the newer, slimmer 32mm 10x and 12x versions, which actually look like binoculars instead of footballs, but I haven't bitten due to the short warranty period. From what I've read of buyers' experiences, repairs are costly after the warranty period, as high as half the price of the the origional price.

The price of most of Oberwerk's bins (except the binotelescopes, which have a 3-year warranty) is fairly low, so my guess is the short warranty period is less about confidence than it is profit margins. Although Kevin is trying to reach beyond the astronomy market with his smaller configuration bins including the OB SEs, most of his bins are bought by amateur astronomers, most of whom use telsecopes, not binoculars. It's a niche market.

So their low price and the cost of repairs from Corey, which including shipping is a minimum of $100 (for re-alignment), makes it sound as if the binoculars are disposable like most Chinese products.

I'm waiting to see what OB 8x32 SE owners ' experience is with QC and repairs. Someone suggested that the first ones sold were "cherry picked" and wondered if subsequent batches would be as good.

I'm interested in the 10x and 12x SEs, so I will be following the QC and repair history of the 8x SE. But if the image quality is as good as the 8x and QC remains, I'd consider buying a higher power model.

It's still exciting for me as a porro lover to see new porros with higher quality than the typical $79-$100 Chinese made porros, which are clones offered by many companies, and whose images may be sharp in the center, but have wonky focusers or eyecups that slip or other QC issues.

The fact that OB SEs are WP and FP makes them useful to birders and hunters who go out in adverse weather conditions, which gives them wider appeal. And from what buyers have reported, the SE focuser doesn't seem to be as hard to turn as the Swaro Habicht porros, which is also a good thing. If an OB SE lasts me 10 years, I'd be happy with that.

Brock
Brock,
Please try the Canon 10x42ISL, it works a treat, good optics and fully waterproof, albeit heavy and ugly.
The warranty is minimal, 3 years currently in the US, but that will cover the infant mortality electronics failures.
My first one lasted 10 years before the IS went pear shaped, am on my second one because I've not found better.

Brock,
Please try the Canon 10x42ISL, it works a treat, good optics and fully waterproof, albeit heavy and ugly.
The warranty is minimal, 3 years currently in the US, but that will cover the infant mortality electronics failures.
My first one lasted 10 years before the IS went pear shaped, am on my second one because I've not found better.
etudient,

Thanks for that testimony. Given my shaky hands, I might have no choice if I want to use a 10x bin with ED glass handheld without sitting in a high back chair or on a tree stump with my back up against a tree.

If I had dark skies and I could use the 10x42 IS L for both birding and stargazing like I did with the 10x42 SE and 12x50 SE, I might have already bought one. But where I live now, I would have to drive so far to get dark skies that a deer would end up in my lap (almost happened one time--he hit the van, fell, but then got up and ran back into the woods).

The weight isn't a big issue for stargazing since except at low angles, the weight goes back on my face/head, but more of a concern with birding. I had a Nikon 10x42 LX, and by the end of the day, my arms and shoulders were sore.

I'm happy to hear that your sample lasted 10 years. II could live with that if I live that long. If you cost it over 10 years that only about $150 a year.

How do you manage to use them with those oversized chunky eyecups? That was my other concern. I know they would not fit into my eye sockets.

Brock

Last edited:
etudient,

Thanks for that testimony. Given my shaky hands, I might have no choice if I want to use a 10x bin with ED glass handheld without sitting in a high back chair or on a tree stump with my back up against a tree.

If I had dark skies and I could use the 10x42 IS L for both birding and stargazing like I did with the 10x42 SE and 12x50 SE, I might have already bought one. But where I live now, I would have to drive so far to get dark skies that a deer would end up in my lap (almost happened one time--he hit the van, fell, but then got up and ran back into the woods).

The weight isn't a big issue for stargazing since except at low angles, the weight goes back on my face/head, but more of a concern with birding. I had a Nikon 10x42 LX, and by the end of the day, my arms and shoulders were sore.

I'm hapy to hear that your sample lasted 10 years. I'd be happy with that. If you cost it over 10 years that only about $150 a year.

How do you manage to use them with those oversized chunky eyecups? That was my other concern. I know they would not fit into my eye sockets.

Brock
The eye cup issue is spared me, I wear glasses full time and just put the oculars flat on the glasses.
Henry had posted a cutaway some years back, the ocular lenses are wrapped as tight as possible, so unfortunately no way to shrink those eye cups.
Maybe try them with sunglasses to see whether that works for you?

Separately, would endorse Hermann's Finnstick recommendation, it works nicely for longer looks.
The underside of the glass has a conveniently placed tripod fitting that balances well.

Try a Finnstick.

Hermann
Hermann,

Thanks! I thought you had to be Finnish to use a Finnstick. :)

I've heard of them before but I thought they were like monopods without the ball head but I see from this video what you mean. That could work!

The monopod I bought doesn't work for me since it imparts my hand shakes to the pole I'm holding, which vibrate their way up to the binoculars. Plus, they're a pain to carry around, since you need to use a ball head to look up at birds in the trees, and I'm tall, so I bought the longest one I could find.

The Finnstick set up looks much more portable. As long as I don't get the body shakes from the cold, it could be the ticket to higher power birding.

Thanks again,
Brock

The eye cup issue is spared me, I wear glasses full time and just put the oculars flat on the glasses.
Henry had posted a cutaway some years back, the ocular lenses are wrapped as tight as possible, so unfortunately no way to shrink those eye cups.
Maybe try them with sunglasses to see whether that works for you?

Separately, would endorse Hermann's Finnstick recommendation, it works nicely for longer looks.
The underside of the glass has a conveniently placed tripod fitting that balances well.
No way to shrink my eye sockets, either. :) However, like me, the birder who traded his 8x32 EDG II for my 8x42 EDG II has issues with eye fit. He has a 10x42 IS L, and he said he made DIY eyecups for them, so I'll see what he came up with.

I don't have much of a belly, so I'm not sure what I'm going to rest the Finnstick on. My belt, perhaps.

Here's a short article on the Finnstick I found online along with some funny cartoon illustrations.

Brock

Attachments

• bluejay592art5-1.pdf
    202.6 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back