• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Proposed development plans for Clapham, Bedford (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

I think this is a question of 'not in my back yard' please! :C :eek!:

I received a document through my letterbox this morning stating that there is a possible proposal for development work at Clapham, Bedford. A local meeting will occur on the 3rd February 2017. I understand that this is not the first time this area of land has been considered for development proposals that go back to 2015.

The amount of work would make Clapham another quarter of it size - I think it is not suitable because of the facilities in Clapham would not cope due to its small size, and its approach to village life.

I know that there is a very small Nature Reserve called Brown Wood that is looked after by the locals - what will become of it!!! - another dog tiolet in the making!! Who knows :C

Anyone else been confronted with this, and what happened at the end? How would it affect conservation in the area? Any other thoughts about it?

http://edrms.bedford.gov.uk/OpenDoc...yKavA==&name=HLM037 - 023 - Site Boundary.pdf

Has anyone else been confronted with this large scale development work in their area, and what was the outcome. :eek!:

Last edited:
Hi,
We get quite a few round our village. All of them are opposed by the locals! on the grounds of the transport, infrastructure, schools and doctors being oversubscribed.
Most get thrown out, but there are a small number that form part of the local council's development plan, and these are nailed on for development in the near future. I don't think there is much that can be done about these. (In fact, the council approved plans are slightly "better" in wildlife terms than some of the unofficial plans which included Nightjar and Woodcock breeding sites, our only local Skylarks, etc).

So, I guess see if any local residents' groups exist, e.g. on facebook, keep your eye on the local press for details of protests etc., and make your objections known to at least try and preserve the existing wild areas.

The local Wildlife trust was instrumental in changing some plans in my area, so it might be worth seeking their opinion.

Hope it goes well,
Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back