• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Puffin Island, Anglesea (1 Viewer)

Chewbaxter

Reformed "Bird Ignorer"!
Howdy folks -wonder if you can help?

I'm off work next week and I'm thinking of having a drive to Anglesea and hopefully a trip to Puffin Island - I assume it's Beaumaris I need to head for.

Now, I've never been here before - so I wondered if anyone can give me a bit of info re: this and a few tips on how to have a great day - I'm okay for getting to Anglesea from dear old Wigan - but din't know about booking a boat trip/best times to go etc. etc.

Any help appreciated.

:t:

Neil.

you are right, you need to get to Beaumaris. Once there you can get on the tour boats which leave from the town. I doubt that you need to book in advance, especially at this time of year (we were there at the height of the season and didn't need to book). Good luck!

you are right, you need to get to Beaumaris. Once there you can get on the tour boats which leave from the town. I doubt that you need to book in advance, especially at this time of year (we were there at the height of the season and didn't need to book). Good luck!

Cheers Jacana - appreciated!

:t:

I'm really looking forward to seeing my first Puffin - plus anything/everything else that I se there and on the way there!

:)

Neil.

To be honest it might be a bit early for the Puffins, added to which you might be a bit hard pressed to find any at Puffin Island. The best place to see them at Anglesey is at South Stack, just the other side of Holyhead, and late April into May and June should be better.

I haven't been onto Puffin island itself but have been to Penmon point, which overlooks the island, many times. At the right time of year I've seen Guillemots, Razorbills, Black Guillemots, Gannets, Eider, terns and Manx Shearwaters, but never seen a Puffin.

To echo the comments-there are not many Puffin there at any time. some years ago the rats decimated them and they are being slowly built up again. To my knowledge it has to be late April/early June to see them.
South Stack is a better bet (April-June) but you only see them from a distance.
Off the A55-the turning before Bangor is Tal-y-bont. If you turn off there and go to the right, down towards the estuary is 'the Spinnies' which can be good for Kingfisher. A few hundred metres on and you come to the estuary with parking-normally lots of waders/geese & swans etc.
We will be on Anglesey next Sunday-Wednesday but over at the Holyhead side.
Enjoy it!

Howdy folks -wonder if you can help?

I'm off work next week and I'm thinking of having a drive to Anglesea and hopefully a trip to Puffin Island - I assume it's Beaumaris I need to head for.

Like others have said, Puffin Island wouldn't be my first choice on Anglesey. South Stack is the place to go, with plenty of Auks (including Puffins) as well as Peregrine and Chough, plus the possibility of migrants at this time of year.

That said, if it's Puffins your after, I'm not sure that you'll see many anywhere so early in the year. I'm pretty sure that they are quite late returning to their colonies compared to other sea birds. May and June are the best times to see them.

I might be there myself on Saturday, weather (and head cold) permitting. I'm supposed to be going to Wales for Black Grouse early in the morning (5:15am meet in Wales :eek!:), but the forecast for Saturday has gone from glorious sunshine to heavy rain in the space of the past 24 hours.

Last edited:
Like others have said, Puffin Island wouldn't be my first choice on Anglesey. South Stack is the place to go, with plenty of Auks (including Puffins) as well as Peregrine and Chough, plus the possibility of migrants at this time of year.

That said, if it's Puffins your after, I'm not sure that you'll see many anywhere so early in the year. I'm pretty sure that they are quite late returning to their colonies compared to other sea birds. May and June are the best times to see them.

I might be there myself on Saturday, weather (and head cold) permitting. I'm supposed to be going to Wales for Black Grouse early in the morning (5:15am meet in Wales :eek!:), but the forecast for Saturday has gone from glorious sunshine to heavy rain in the space of the past 24 hours.

I spent a week volunteering at South Stack a couple of years ago, so other species worth looking out for is Merlin.

Well, you've talked me into it!

South Stack it is then!

I may still ALSO do Puffin Island depending - but I reckon I'll head to South Stack first...

One question though - are there any hide facilities there/anywhere I can use my hide clamp for the scope - would be easier than taking the whole tripod thing you see.

Cheers for the help folks.

Neil.

Neil.
There are no hides at either location. As you say, you would need to take a tripod for your scope. There is a viewing tower at S/stack which is sometimes worth a look. nesting auks etc on the cliffs.
Whilst your there pop down to Holyhead harbour for Black guillemot.
Mike.

Neil.
There are no hides at either location. As you say, you would need to take a tripod for your scope. There is a viewing tower at S/stack which is sometimes worth a look. nesting auks etc on the cliffs.
Mike.

Cheers Mike - at least I know in advance -I'll take the whole cabodle then! :t:

I'll try and fit in as much as poss. on the day I reckon - I'm planning on setting off 'early doors' - prob. about 05:30 a.m.

Looking forward to it actually - it'll be the first time I've gone so far for a specific Birding trip -although I've done some 'inadvertent birding' whilst on hols. (in when my missus saw that I'd 'just happen' to bring my bins along).

:D

Neil.

Neil.
Mike.

Dont mention the Black Guillemots at Holyhead Harbour; I managed to dip them when I was there.

Dont mention the Black Guillemots at Holyhead Harbour; I managed to dip them when I was there.

They are (or where?) resident at Fedw Fawr in the south east of the island, but I'm not going to even try to explain how to get there. It's just a place I eventually find without quite knowing how!

They are (or where?) resident at Fedw Fawr in the south east of the island, but I'm not going to even try to explain how to get there. It's just a place I eventually find without quite knowing how!

I've tried writing down directions in reverse when I've actually found the damn place before... but that doesn't work either. >This map< shows where it is - you'll get there eventually. Lovely little spot.

Holyhead harbour is easier - follow the amusingly named Turkey Shore Road to the end, it branches off the road to the ferry terminal.

Just a note of caution - negative news so far of Puffin at S Stack this year AFAIK, whereas if you click Mike N's link, it appears they have been seen from Penmon. They are viewable from there but they're distant, so a powerful scope, no wind, good light and patience are all required! I've also seen them from the RSPB trips round the island.
In short, try both places, they're both great!
Have a good one.

Just a note of caution - negative news so far of Puffin at S Stack this year AFAIK, whereas if you click Mike N's link, it appears they have been seen from Penmon. They are viewable from there but they're distant, so a powerful scope, no wind, good light and patience are all required! I've also seen them from the RSPB trips round the island.
In short, try both places, they're both great!
Have a good one.

Cheers muchly for the advice Jog :t: I reckon no matter what I see, it'll be a good day (I hope).

I'll post here with whatever's seen - will be going next Wednesday!

:)

Neil.

Photograph attached of Puffins off Puffin Island last June. We sailed from the Wirral to Beaumaris passing quite close and there were at least 6 on the water. You would have seen them from Penmon Point.

Best place for Black Guillemot is the old fish harbour at Holyhead not the new harbour. Don't ask me for directions I just follow my nose.

It is probably to early for reliable sightings of any aukso nthe breeding grounds yet. They appear and then shoot off again as they're just prospecting!

Attachments

• Puffins.jpg
    Puffins.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 82
Haven't read all the posts so forgive me if I'm repeating things - the RSPB reserve at Conwy is only just off the main road you'll be taking and is well worth a visit.

Sandra

Also try Cemlyn bay for the tern colonies while you're on Anglesey, but beware the place smells pretty awful.

Additionally the views from South Stack, and the adjacent Holyhead mountain, can be spectacular. Many times I've seen the Wicklow mountains, in Ireland, from the track leading from the car park up to the mountain.

Cheers for all the info folks! I'll try to plan and cram in as much as I can on the day - can't knacker myself too much though - me and Mrs. Wife will be going to Blackpool Peasure Beach the day after, so I need some energy left in order to do that lol. :D

Right - essential equipment for taking:

1. Bins.
2. Scope & pod.
3. Camera.
4. Field Guides (I'll take a few - one for pocket, the rest in car for consultation later.
5. Mobile 'phone for sound recording/pending podcast episode.
6. Waterproofs and boots.
7. Flask of tea & butties.
8. Bottle of water.
9. Ipod (for plugging in and listening whilst driving).
10. my Satnav (voice set for Mr. T - informative yet fun - you can't argue with him either, unless you'se a crazy foo' who shouldn't be givin' him no jibber jabber!)

I think that's everything covered!

Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back