• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Purple Martin In Britain!!! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krispo

Newbie Birder For Life
Big news!!! |8.|

Just see on birdguides.com there has been a sighting of a purple martin in the butt of lewis, outer Hebridies. Is this a first for Britain?

Kajrowe

Chris Monk said:
It's a first for not only the UK but more significantly the Western Palearctic!

Wasn't there one reported at Ouessant (France) in late autumn one year in the mid-eighties?.

Well WroughtIron, I just googled Purple Martin and restricted the search to the UK. I got a few matches, but one of them was a newspaper report. The newspaper is "The Scotsman", but the story is more about 'twitching' than the bird itself.
I have a vague idea that I am not supposed to paste links in this forum.
If you google Scotsman Purple Martin it comes up as the top match. Worth a try.
Cheers
Henry

The juvenile Purple Martin was found at about 2.30pm on Sunday 5th September at the Butt of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides by three birders including a friend of mine (Mark Witherall). Despite earlier claims, this was the first concrete record in the UK and indeed the Western Palearctic (although another turned up the next day). Note that the bird has not yet been officially accepted onto the British list by the BOU, but I assume it is just a formality.

I went up the next day to see it and, along with about about 75 others, missed it by 45 minutes. I wasn't in a very good mood.

Amazingly, another bird (or possibly the same) was seen briefly at Porthgwarra in Cornwall in late October with Starlings. The bird on Lewis was also associating Starlings. I suggest we all check Starlings over the next few weeks...

Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back