• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Qatar (Irakhiya Farm) in August (1 Viewer)

pbjosh

missing the neotropics
Switzerland
Is this site generally open to the public or do arrangements need to be made? I have the option to have a 1/2 day layover in Doha in mid-August which would let me get out to the farm mid-late afternoon and bird for a few hours. I would also stay until after dark for Egyptian Nightjar, if possible. I realize it will be blazing hot (likely over 40C) but for late afternoon and evening I can withstand that.

The other part will be figuring out if I hire a car or if there is a better way to get there and back.

If anyone has any info on site access or tips about the site or how to most economically get there from the airport then back, I'm all ears.

Cheers in advance,
Josh

Hi Josh,

Just a holding message, but I'll be doing this exact thing next week. 12 hour layover and getting a car to do some birding at Irakhiya/Karanah & Al Wakra beach. I will let you know how it goes!

Best,
Joost

Will be keen to hear how it goes for you and will greatly appreciate any/all info. I have since booked my flight with the layover, and am planning on booking a car for 8 hours or so. I'll see SOMETHING I'm sure, even if access to Irakhiya Farm is troublesome.

Cheers,
Josh

Will be keen to hear how it goes for you and will greatly appreciate any/all info. I have since booked my flight with the layover, and am planning on booking a car for 8 hours or so. I'll see SOMETHING I'm sure, even if access to Irakhiya Farm is troublesome.

Cheers,
Josh

Hey Josh,
Having just returned from my trip, I can say a stopover in Qatar is totally worth it, even in summer. Access is really easy, there is nobody there, no barriers etc. They're doing a lot of roadworks, so any maps may be out of date soon. However, I found it easy enough with Google Maps (use Sunset Photo Point as your reference). I put a list up on eBird so you know what to expect. Was there during the heat of the day, but still decent levels of activity. And crippling views of Egyptian Nightjars (counted 11 of them in just 1.5h!) - hawking and roosting on the dried up mud & roads.
If you have time, I also recommend the next wetland site along, Al Karaana, which has some larger/deeper lakes. You can drive around it, but the road is a bit hairy - some clearance on your vehicle will help. The coast at Al Wakra is also good for a quick stop. Just drive onto the beach at "Alwakra Beach North" and scope the sand bars & outflows (again, list on eBird).
Getting out of the airport is a bit awkward if you're in transit, but ask at the Transit desk and they will guide you out. Oh and check latest requirements such as PCR test. The UK gov website was out of date (Swiss may be better).
Have a great time!
Joost

Getting out of the airport is a bit awkward if you're in transit, but ask at the Transit desk and they will guide you out. Oh and check latest requirements such as PCR test. The UK gov website was out of date (Swiss may be better).
Have a great time!
Joost

I will be transiting Doha on return to Zürich from Delhi, and India is unfortunately still on Qatar's red list, so I think I would be subject to mandatory 1 day hotel quarantine, at least as I have been able to understand the Qatar govt websites thus far... so it might not work out. I'm going to keep reading the websites and if it looks possible I will have a PCR in Delhi before leaving and hopefully put your gen to good use, really appreciate it! And if it doesn't work out, I'll have a half day layover in Doha Intl Airport.... yawn!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back