• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quality Hiking Bin (non alpha) (2 Viewers)

I've never had any trouble with the Trackers as you describe, and I have left them many a time in my closed up car & truck where the temp must get up close to 140-150 degrees.

I wish you would go ahead and get the 8x25 BVII to compare to the BF so I can stop wondering.;)

I will see how the BF version is first. As you say I probably won't like it. Does anybody know what the difference is between the two?

For the Minox the BV, has meant "V" for value, that means lower priced and quality.
I do not have experience with these, but that has been the way they have been placed.

Jerry

Yeah, strangely the specs given for the FoV in meters correctly EQUALS the yards number in conversion BUT the industry standard has been to round off 1 meter = 1 yard. So in this case, 390ft/1000yds = 7.4°.

Anyway, just another example not to trust the numbers from the OEM/retailer and to take our own hands-on measurements. I would hope Dennis takes the time to give us the correct weight, FoV, and phase coating evaluation along with his usual hyperbole. These are the key features that would set this roof apart from other waterproof 8x25mm compacts.

"along with his usual hyperbole" ,"Looking forward to your review of the BF and don't want a bunch of BS".

Since you all think my reviews are BS and exagerrated I think I will keep my feelings to myself on the Minox BF 8x25. Your better off buying it yourself and that way you can get a review without any hyperbole.

I will see how the BF version is first. As you say I probably won't like it. Does anybody know what the difference is between the two?

I published the specs in post #71. The BVII is a little lighter and has a slightly smaller FOV.

The pictures of the old 8x25 BV & 8x25 BF look identical in every aspect and both are green. The BVII has a different look to the armoring and placement of the nametag and is black.

Oh yeah - and about $70

Dennis, don't count me among those who disparage your comments. I'd like to read what your impressions are. If you still don't intend to post, a PM would be appreciated.

I too enjoy Dennis' review. Sometimes the discussion following his review can get quite colorful. But I found most of his review is very helpful.

Dennis,

I enjoy reading your reviews too, even though I goof on your quickly fading "bubbly enthusiasm" like everybody else (except, Bob, of course :). Only then, do you see the "Cons" of the bin that others had pointed out earlier.

It's a lot like falling in love. At first, your lover can do no wrong and is a goddess. Then one day, you take off your rose-colored glasses, and like Faust, you discover that your Gretchen isn't beautiful like Helen of Troy, and has flaws - she picks her nose and eats her boogers and has bunions the size of onions. *POP*, the bubble bursts, and it's over.

I don't think that's unusual, many of us have experienced the same thing ourselves with bins, though perhaps not as often or as quickly.

Nothing wrong with expressing your enthusiasm for a bin, your reviews wouldn't be as enjoyable to read w/out it, but if you gave a more "fair and balanced" review, covering both the Pros and Cons, your reviews would have greater impact, credibility, and usefulness. No bin is perfect, and no bin is even "almost perfect" for everyone.

You've read enough reviews yourself to know people's likes and dislikes to write a balanced review even if it turns out that for you the balance tips to the Pro side.

I think with all your experience with bins and willingness to take risks, you could be one of our most valued and trusted sources of information.

Brock

Last edited:
Dennis,

Thumbs up! Brock said it well. There's not one single review that you gave that I didn't enjoy, it's always good reading.
I still like my Papilio's BTW ;)

Best regards,

Ronald

Dennis,

Thumbs up! Brock said it well. There's not one single review that you gave that I didn't enjoy, it's always good reading.
I still like my Papilio's BTW ;)

Best regards,

Ronald

I received the Minox BF 8x25 from Cameraland and I am not impressed! I didn't realize the Germans made a POS. Is that a hyperbole? I guess I am used to Leica and Zeiss and I have never tried an inexpensive German roof prism binocular. Even the expensive roof prism binoculars are not that great so it makes sense that the cheap ones would be really bad! My Nikon 8x25 Prostaff is WAY better optically. The Minox is really soft off-axis and it is not as sharp as the Nikon on-axis either. The ER of the Minox again makes you keep your eyes away from the eyecups to avoid getting blackouts. On top of all that the sample I received had a focus wheel that got progressively harder to turn to that point that you couldn't even turn it! Now I am having difficulty returning it to Cameraland for a refund. I returned it and sent them 3 e-mails over four days without a reply. That is not good customer service! I believe this will be the last binoculars I will buy from Doug. I guess I should have known when something is on clearance it is on clearance for a reason. They can't move them at the regular price. This thing isn't worth $25.00 much less $75.00. My wife brought up a good point. She said Dennis why are you messing around with those cheap binoculars when you have a Swarovision? I thought about it and you know she is right. I guess I just wanted to see if they were any good. No more cheap binoculars for me. The Nikon 8x25 Prostaff is a pretty good compact and I will keep it but it is not even close to the Swarovision.

Dennis,
Rock on. I believe you.

But I think you may be being too nice about your Prostaff. Isn't that the same optics as the Travelite V, only with waterproofing and twist up eyecups? I have two matching 8x25 Travelite Vs (seemed like a good idea at the time), and I would not wish them on my worst enemy. (I guess I don't have any very bad enemies, but it's nice to have a weapon in reserve.) If Superman flew over, I would not pull out my Travelite V to watch.
Ron

The 8 x 25 Travelite V has a smaller FOV than the 8 x 25 Pro-Staff has. In fact, curiously, it has the same FOV as the 9 x 25 Travelite V which I have and like.

Bob

About the same time Dennis bought his 8x25 Prostaffs. I bought the newer 8x25 Travelite VI #7277 which has the same narrow 5.6* 293 ft FOV as the 9x25's.

Since we were both reviewing the 8x25 Trackers, and Dennis thought the Prostaffs were slightly behind the Trackers optically, and I thought the same thing about theTravelites, I made the assumption that the Prostaffs and Travelites must be pretty close optically.

It was a fairly decent little reverse porro, better than most, but I still prefer the Tracker optically. A shame the FOV isn't wider.

Tom

About the same time Dennis bought his 8x25 Prostaffs. I bought the newer 8x25 Travelite VI #7277 which has the same narrow 5.6* 293 ft FOV as the 9x25's.

Since we were both reviewing the 8x25 Trackers, and Dennis thought the Prostaffs were slightly behind the Trackers optically, and I thought the same thing about theTravelites, I made the assumption that the Prostaffs and Travelites must be pretty close optically.

It was a fairly decent little reverse porro, better than most, but I still prefer the Tracker optically. A shame the FOV isn't wider.

Tom

I agree with your fairly decent judgement on the Nikon Prostaff's 8x25. They are not great but better than most of the small reverse porro compacts. FOV is a little narrow as you say.

I received the Minox BF 8x25 from Cameraland and I am not impressed!.... No more cheap binoculars for me. The Nikon 8x25 Prostaff is a pretty good compact and I will keep it but it is not even close to the Swarovision.

That's what I thought would happen. It's a bit strange that nobody seems willing to make a really good 25mm roof. I can think of no logical reason for that. The alpha 8x20's are really quite good. 25mm's could easily be better if someone wanted it.

I'd try the Minox BVII but probably would just be disappointed.

Until somebody ups the ante, I think I'll stick with the Olympus 8x25 Tracker and the Leica 8x20 UV. The 8x25 Prostaff is good as well. I returned it but it was darn good.

Mark

That's what I thought would happen. It's a bit strange that nobody seems willing to make a really good 25mm roof. I can think of no logical reason for that. The alpha 8x20's are really quite good. 25mm's could easily be better if someone wanted it.

I'd try the Minox BVII but probably would just be disappointed.

Until somebody ups the ante, I think I'll stick with the Olympus 8x25 Tracker and the Leica 8x20 UV. The 8x25 Prostaff is good as well. I returned it but it was darn good.

Mark

I don't think anybody makes an 8x25 alpha roof because it is to close to an 8x32. People will just buy the 32mm. It would seem like it is a good compromise between an 8x20 and an 8x32 though. Cameraland gave me my refund on those Minox binoculars and they apologized saying they were swamped with their inventory reduction sale. So they came through.

Dennis,

I enjoy reading your reviews too, even though I goof on your quickly fading "bubbly enthusiasm" like everybody else (except, Bob, of course :). Only then, do you see the "Cons" of the bin that others had pointed out earlier.

It's a lot like falling in love. At first, your lover can do no wrong and is a goddess. Then one day, you take off your rose-colored glasses, and like Faust, you discover that your Gretchen isn't beautiful like Helen of Troy, and has flaws - she picks her nose and eats her boogers and has bunions the size of onions. *POP*, the bubble bursts, and it's over.

I don't think that's unusual, many of us have experienced the same thing ourselves with bins, though perhaps not as often or as quickly.

Nothing wrong with expressing your enthusiasm for a bin, your reviews wouldn't be as enjoyable to read w/out it, but if you gave a more "fair and balanced" review, covering both the Pros and Cons, your reviews would have greater impact, credibility, and usefulness. No bin is perfect, and no bin is even "almost perfect" for everyone.

You've read enough reviews yourself to know people's likes and dislikes to write a balanced review even if it turns out that for you the balance tips to the Pro side.

I think with all your experience with bins and willingness to take risks, you could be one of our most valued and trusted sources of information.

Brock

Brock
How come your selling you Nikon 8x32 SE's? Are you subscribing to the flavor of the week like me now? I thought the SE's were your favorite binoculars? Or are you selling off your collection to get an SV the latest and greatest? I guess your first love the Nikon SE started picking it's nose and eating it's boogers and grew bunions the size of onions. *POP*, the bubble bursts, and it's over. And now she's on Astromart! HaHa! We all succumb to it sooner or later.

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=735150

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back