• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about Swift 7x35 'Nighthawk' (model 770) (2 Viewers)

MiguelATF

I stumbled across what seem to be a very clean pair of older Swift 7x35 binoculars - model 770, one of their "Nighthawk" series. I have two questions which I'm hoping some of the wiser Swiftaholics can answer for me --

FIRST, what is their overall quality & usability? (I know, I know, this is an extremely broad and vague question... but I'm open to any kind of answers)

SECOND, in 2024, what would be either a good or a reasonable price to pay for them? (I know, the adjective 'reasonable' is subject to a wiiiide range of interpretations)

I'm attaching a photo of them here.

Swift-Nighthawk-7x35.jpg

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback on these little binocs.

Update: I bought the binoculars (the seller was 'Goodwill', the nationwide retailer of used stuff). The final purchase price was close to $25. They had been mislabeled as a Swift Model #748. They are exceptionally clean, and came with all caps and an immaculate case; if I didn't know better, I would say they were nearly unused. The initial views through them are promising - incredibly clear, and sharp. I'm attaching a few photos to show them - and, hopefully, show their condition as well.

KS1_Mar13_24_Swift_binocs#1(mono).jpg

The Nighthawks have a slightly more squared off, less rounded design than so many older porros.

KS1_Mar13_24_Swift_binocs#2(mono).jpg

I read somewhere that these 7x35s are nicely sized for smaller faces and in fact my wife, whose head is smaller than mine and often prefers smaller sized binoculars, says they are a good fit for her.

KS1_Mar13_24_Swift_binocs#3(mono).jpg

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to binoculars, but the viewing lenses on these - the oculars - seem unusually large. Definitely much larger than those on my (recently acquired) old Action Nikon 7x35s.

KS1_Mar13_24_Swift_binocs#4(mono).jpg

A closer shot showing some details--

KS1_Mar13_24_Swift_binocs#5(mono).jpg

And another--

KS1_Mar13_24_Swift_binocs#6(mono).jpg

Though "looks aren't everything," I have to admit - the design of these, and their 'lines', are very cool.

KS1_Mar13_24_Swift_binocs#7(mono).jpg

For 50 year old binoculars... they still do a pretty good job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back