• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Found a Swift Vulcan 7x35 Model 718 (1 Viewer)

angelo225544

I happened upon a Swift Vulcan 7x35 Model 718 (FOV=525 feet) made by Fujinon, presumably in the late 1960’s. I know there aren’t many of these floating around, so I thought I might provide some first hand observations. FanTao called them a “Little Jem”, and I can see why. While not quite as wide as my Swift Holiday Mark II, they are very nearly it’s optical equal in brightness, resolution and contrast and color fidelity, while being significantly smaller. This reduction in size is due in part to the most unique prism set I’ve come across. Many binoculars use 2 different size prisms, since the image forming light within a binocular is cone-shaped, diminishing in diameter as it approaches our eyes. Fujinon took this one step further, so that the larger of the BaK4 prisms is tapered - wider on one side, narrower on the other. I’ve never seen this before, but it does appear to work, and to allow for the shell to be that much smaller. Apparently, these odd shaped prisms can be jarred loose if dropped, especially now that the cement used to secure them has become brittle - and it was necessary for me to reseat each of them. Fortunately, the prisms didn’t chip or crack, even while becoming fully dislodged, barely prevented from rattling around by its strap. My only other nit to pick would be the click-stop diopter control - sometimes it’s best to leave well enough alone. All-in-all, I would have to agree that this is certainly one of the better wide angle 7x35’s from the “Golden Era”.

I happened upon a Swift Vulcan 7x35 Model 718 (FOV=525 feet) made by Fujinon, presumably in the late 1960’s. I know there aren’t many of these floating around, so I thought I might provide some first hand observations. FanTao called them a “Little Jem”, and I can see why. While not quite as wide as my Swift Holiday Mark II, they are very nearly it’s optical equal in brightness, resolution and contrast and color fidelity, while being significantly smaller. This reduction in size is due in part to the most unique prism set I’ve come across. Many binoculars use 2 different size prisms, since the image forming light within a binocular is cone-shaped, diminishing in diameter as it approaches our eyes. Fujinon took this one step further, so that the larger of the BaK4 prisms is tapered - wider on one side, narrower on the other. I’ve never seen this before, but it does appear to work, and to allow for the shell to be that much smaller. Apparently, these odd shaped prisms can be jarred loose if dropped, especially now that the cement used to secure them has become brittle - and it was necessary for me to reseat each of them. Fortunately, the prisms didn’t chip or crack, even while becoming fully dislodged, barely prevented from rattling around by its strap. My only other nit to pick would be the click-stop diopter control - sometimes it’s best to leave well enough alone. All-in-all, I would have to agree that this is certainly one of the better wide angle 7x35’s from the “Golden Era”.
Considering many to most Fujinon branded binoculars are made by others—the cheap stuff and their best, might you venture to tell us why you think that product was “MADE” by Fujinon. :)

Cheers,

Bill

Hi, Bill. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge on this topic. It has been my understanding that Swift contracted Fujinon to design and assemble the optics in this, and several other binoculars (as did Bushnell, most famously with the RangeMaster). It has been my understanding that the evidence for this can be found by looking for the JB number stamped into the frame of the binocular. This binocular is stamped JB-8, while being branded a Swift, from which I surmised that Fujinon manufactured this binocular for Swift. If any of my above assumptions were made in error, please feel free to correct me.

Hi, Bill. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge on this topic. It has been my understanding that Swift contracted Fujinon to design and assemble the optics in this, and several other binoculars (as did Bushnell, most famously with the RangeMaster). It has been my understanding that the evidence for this can be found by looking for the JB number stamped into the frame of the binocular. This binocular is stamped JB-8, while being branded a Swift, from which I surmised that Fujinon manufactured this binocular for Swift. If any of my above assumptions were made in error, please feel free to correct me.
Hi Angelo, JB 8 is Fuji Sbashin Koki Co. Ltd., NOT Fujinon, unless that was Fujinon's name in another life.. But, there I go ... stirring the pot, again. Sorry!:sneaky:

Very much appreciated, Bill. So, these were manufactured by Fuji Sbashin Koki Co. Ltd (JB-8) which I now know IS NOT in any away affiliated with Fujinon (a brand name used by Fuji Photo Film Co., Ltd, now known as Fujifilm). I greatly appreciate your pointing that out. I wish I could go back and edit my original post, but that window has closed. Since I have your attention, can you comment on whether the tapered (larger) prism is unique, or been used elsewhere?

Last edited:
Very much appreciated, Bill. So, these were manufactured by Fuji Sbashin Koki Co. Ltd (JB-8) which I now know IS NOT in any away affiliated with Fujinon (a brand name used by Fuji Photo Film Co., Ltd, now known as Fujifilm). I greatly appreciate your pointing that out. I wish I could go back and edit my original post, but that window has closed. Since I have your attention, can you comment on whether the tapered (larger) prism is unique, or been used elsewhere?
Undersized prisms have been used from time to time just to save costs on production. Technically, the outer image suffers some. But experienced amateur astronomers say that a 40% light drop off at the edge of the field is unnoticeable by most observers.

Undersized prisms have been used from time to time just to save costs on production. Technically, the outer image suffers some. But experienced amateur astronomers say that a 40% light drop off at the edge of the field is unnoticeable by most observers.
Thank you, Bill. I don’t think I asked my question as well as I might have. Not only did Fuji (NOT Fujinon!) use 2 different size prisms, but the larger of the two prisms is asymmetrical. The hypotenuse side is wider on one side, narrower on the other. This asymmetry in a single prism is something I’ve never seen before, so I wondered whether anyone has. Thank you again for your help and expertise!

I found this, and thought it might be worth sharing:

“Fuji Photo Optical Co. Ltd​

NATIONALITY: Japanese
Part of Fuijifilm Global; created through the takeover of Enomoto Kogaku Seiki Manufacturing Co., Ltd (circa 1944); currently known as Fujinon Corporation.”

Enomoto Kogaku Seiki Manufacturing Co., was also known by the designation jb/je-93.

I thought that they were basically the same.

I have optics with variations of Fuji/ Fujinon/Fujifim marked on them.

Regards,
B.

Hi Angelo, JB 8 is Fuji Sbashin Koki Co. Ltd., NOT Fujinon, unless that was Fujinon's name in another life.. But, there I go ... stirring the pot, again. Sorry!:sneaky:

JB-8 is Fuji Photo Optical. The original JB code list has a typo transcription. It should read Fuji  Shashin Koki. Shashin is the Japanese sound for Photo ie. JB-8 is Fuji Photo Optical and I'm not sure why it wasn't written that way in the original list but I guess the author became confused over which parts in the original company names should be transliterated and which ones should become English.

Plenty of JB-8 binoculars sold as Fuji also have the FPO & mountain logo/stamp on them too. If it says JB-8 it means the glass was certainly cut and polished in their own factory although if I remember correctly, Fujinon's glass melting facilities were destroyed in the war and not rebuilt. By this time however, third-party companies fulfilled the glass research and production industry role just as well as the original large lens companies did, and continue to do so today.

There are many later entry-level and mid-range Fujinon binoculars after the JB stamps were dropped, which are made by Kamakura and in very modern times, Kenko-Tokina. They generally carry a higher grade coating than the same model branded for Tasco JP or Sightron. Some even label an EBC coating, whether or not that is true or just marketing hyperbole I wouldn't know but generally coating would just be done by the OEM too.

It sounds like you have got a very top-of-the-line Fujinon in disguise!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back