• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question Howell's Guide to Birds of Mexico and Northern Central America (1 Viewer)

KHamblett

There are two versions of
A Guide to the Birds of Mexico and Northern Central America by Steve N. G. Howell: a 1995 version and a 2003 version; however, I cannot find a description of the 2003 version to determine the differences and if the $40 + cost difference would be worth it.

Here's the question: does anyone know what the updates or improvements are in the 2003 version?

I can find no reference to a second edition which it would be if there were alterations to the text and or new plates etc so this must simply be a reprint, the two will be identical.

My copy is a hardcover, I now see it available as a paperback published in 2003 so this must be it, all they did was a reprint as a paperback.

A

Last edited:
There are two versions of A Guide to the Birds of Mexico and Northern Central America by Steve N. G. Howell: a 1995 version and a 2003 version; however, I cannot find a description of the 2003 version to determine the differences and if the $40 + cost difference would be worth it. Here's the question: does anyone know what the updates or improvements are in the 2003 version?

Amazon Canada cites a publication date of Feb 18, 2003, but it seems to be a reprint of the 1995 work.

Gary H

I have a British version of the siteguide labeled with copyright 1999 just to make things even more complicated.

Niels

Amazon Canada cites a publication date of Feb 18, 2003, but it seems to be a reprint of the 1995 work.

Gary H

As I said above, originally a hardcover, they made it available as a paperback with this reprint.

Just look at any new book to see if it's publicised as a 2nd edition, if it is, it an updated version, if not it's just a reprint.

I collect books so am familiar with this situation.

A

Last edited:
As I said above, originally a hardcover, they made it available as a paperback with this reprint.

I collect books so am familiar with this situation.

A

Albeit not totally familiar, because the first imprint (in 1995) was also issued in softback, at least on this (east) side of the Atlantic. I have a copy (and indeed another of the reprint, in 2003, also in soft cover).

Never listen to experts...8-P

Albeit not totally familiar, because the first imprint (in 1995) was also issued in softback, at least on this (east) side of the Atlantic. I have a copy (and indeed another of the reprint, in 2003, also in soft cover).

Never listen to experts...8-P

I was reffering to the terminolgy, the fact that no use is made of the term '2nd edition'

As a collector who looks for 1st editions, it can be tricly as the term is legally used for any book that's printed years after the real first edition if there are no changes to the contents. What collectors want is a first printing of the first edition

This book is the second printing of the first edition.

A

Last edited:
As a collector who looks for 1st editions, it can be tricly as the term is legally used for any book that's printed years after the real first edition if there are no changes to the contents. What collectors want is a first printing of the first edition

The original query seemed directed more to content than collectability, and if that's true we all seem to agree that in that regard any printing or edition currently out is of comparable value.

Gary H

The original query seemed directed more to content than collectability, and if that's true we all seem to agree that in that regard any printing or edition currently out is of comparable value.

Gary H

I was simply trying to explain how the term 1st edition is applied for non collectors to understand that the book reffered to is a first edition so unchanged.

The comment re collectability was just an aside.

A

He's talking about the field guide Niels not the site guide?

A

Perhaps my misunderstanding was due to the fact that I always think of the field guide as Howell and Webb, not "Howell's book" because that is how authorship is listed on the book. The siteguide, however, is Howell.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, my version of Howell and Webb is a 1995 softcover from OUP.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back