• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Questions from someone completely inexperienced with birds (1 Viewer)

Hi everybody! I'm new to this forum and this seems like a really nice community. I'm unfortunately not a bird-watcher. I had an urgent question regarding an abandoned baby bird, and have no idea where to pose these questions. Hoping I can be redirected to another community, or that someone can give me an answer here.

My dad found a baby red-vented bulbul on the pavement while he was on his daily walk. Looked around for a nest, couldn't find one, so he brought it home. It looks to be about 3 weeks old as it has sprouted fluffy feathers and can take extremely short flights and ingest tiny solid pieces of food, but I reckon it's not at the fledgling stage yet.

I read online that birds at this stage should be fed every hour to every hour and a half because the danger of overfeeding exists. This bird however begs to be fed every 20 minutes and gets pretty loud. Once we do feed it (it's on a diet of a formula of fruits and pieces of egg), it takes in how much ever it can (which is a few drops of formula or two small pieces of solid food) and stops begging once its satisfied, so we can't make it have more either. Is this normal? Should the baby simply be ignored until it's hourly feeding time is due?

Of course, I have every intention of releasing this bird back into the wild once it's a more independent fledgling. Here is a picture of it the time this post was made.

baby bulbul day 3.jpg

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds, which I hope you will find useful. Please let us know how you get on

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you . (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back