• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quince and House Sparrows (1 Viewer)

Rob Jones

I hope this is the right place to ask the question.

I have a Quince shrub in the garden. It's about 6' high and wide. House sparrows love it! You see them in it all year round. I was just wondering why? They seem active so I'm thinking they may be feeding on something the Quince hosts?
Also the birds dig holes about 3" in the soil below as if they're searching for food.
Whatever they're doing is doing no harm to the bush in fact it blooms wonderfully well.

Probably using it for cover, we have a hedge that the sparrows sit in all day long, making quite a racket !!

And when they're not in there, they congregate in the briar in our garden, flitting out and back to the feeders, and hiding from the sparrowhawk :-O

Birds love bushes for cover, nesting and even finding food. I have a beautiful Quince, too. It is in blossom at the moment. We have hummingbirds that nest in ours every year. Which reminds me that I need to get some pics of them on the nest this year.

Attachments

• springgoldfinch.jpg
    springgoldfinch.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 40
  • now.jpg
    now.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Here the house sparrows seem to like arborvitae bushes and trees, and a close second is any kind of spruce tree. Basically anything dense, and yes, they sure sure do make a ruckous with all their hollering and arguing. They also know how to paint things white with black speckles..........

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back