• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

R7 + rf 100-500 crop factor question (1 Viewer)

oquintero

Hi guys, I have a question. I am interested in getting the R7 + rf canon 100-500 f7.1 combo to photography birds. With that camera I understand i will get a crop factor of 1.6x so I will be obtaining 800mm maximum focal lenght (500 x 1.6 = 800) but the aperture of the lens will be the same or is also affected by the crop factor? so it would really be an f11 lens instead of f7.1?

Thanks in advance!

Osvaldo

You'll have an equivalent 800mm at whatever aperture you set. The crop factor doesn't change the exposure, it only changes the area of the scene recorded on the sensor. It'll still be a 7.1 lens, although if you fit the 1.4x teleconverter, you'll get a stop reduction to F10, the same as on the R5.

Hi guys, I have a question. I am interested in getting the R7 + rf canon 100-500 f7.1 combo to photography birds. With that camera I understand i will get a crop factor of 1.6x so I will be obtaining 800mm maximum focal lenght (500 x 1.6 = 800) but the aperture of the lens will be the same or is also affected by the crop factor? so it would really be an f11 lens instead of f7.1?

Thanks in advance!

Osvaldo

The maximum aperture of the lens doesn't change,
but the equivalent lens, when shooting on a full-frame camera, will be an 800mm/f11.

Equivalent means that you will get the same framing of the subject (from the same distance), similar DOF and similar noise levels, for the same shutter speed & ISO.

The max aperture only changes if you add an extender (e.g you will lose 1 stop with a 1.4x extender). On the R7 with the bare lens the fov equivalent is 800mm (at f7.1). I most always use the 100-500 with a 1.4x extender so this gives me 1120mm at f10. I also have the RF 800/11 which gives a fov equivalent of 1280mm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back