• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raising issues about bird disturbance (1 Viewer)

trw

I regularly visit and estuarine area which is a top spot for passage birds.
Although any type of wader might pass through it attracts passing Common Sandpiper in impressive numbers on a daily basis during migration periods.
It is also a notable stopping off point for White Wagtail and large numbers of Pied Wagtail and Meadow Pipit.
The area is bordered by a public footpath. Walkers without dogs, by and large, stick to the path. Many with dogs, wander off to the river and disturb birds on a regular basis, especially during the recent heatwave, when it presents an opportunity for dogs to cool off.
I sent an email to the landowners about the problem and the Estate Manager called me in for a meeting.
He was not only sympathetic to my concerns he showed me a laminated poster he had made, in readiness, to post in prominent places along the path.
Brilliant!
It showed a photo of a Common Sandpiper and stated the area was an important refuge for birds, asking walkers to stick to the path and not disturb the birdlife.
He was also going to make the Estate workers aware of the problem and speak to members of the public who ignored the request.
I had also noticed that on the huge marsh opposite one dog walker regularly left the footpath and wandered all over the marsh, which is a designated bird refuge and potential breeding area for Lapwing, Skylark and other birds.
As he was not aware of this guy he said he would make an effort to confront him and deal with the matter[he'd dealt with a lady who'd done the same thing a few years ago and she'd stopped going on the marsh].
Whether matters will improve, only time will tell, but at least it's worth making an effort to do something rather than sit idly by.

Last edited:
Good work! Maybe some kind of interpretation boards would help raise awareness?

It can't hurt, if it reduces disturbance by any serious percentage it must be worth it. Unfortunately there are some people who require the signage to be smashed over their heads to get the message.

The landowner in Pratincol's case sounds a good chap.

John

Thanks for the comments.
This is the same Estate which owned some upland property. They planned to fence off an area to and restore it principally for a species of Butterfly.
It caused an almighty ruckus with fellwalkers, and cyclists complaining their rights to roam would be restricted. The Friends of the Lake District protested the fence would spoil the views.
It did no such thing. Only a relatively small area was fenced off and there was still plenty of room for humans and nature.
The Estate Manager told me it had been a huge success for birds[not sure about the butterflies]. I was up there a few weeks ago and Skylark and Meadow Pipit were thriving.
On the estuary there was an area about 100 yards long fenced off to stop sheep going over a steep incline. It was also a small refuge for birds.Some idiot kept on cutting the barbed wire so he could take his dog down there. When I notified them they fixed it but the determined dog walker was having none of it.
One day he sawed off the posts each side and wrote ' F*uck Off' on the posts. When I informed the Estate they replaced the posts and the wire cutter/post destroyer finally gave up.
Only yesterday a Common Kingfisher and 3 Common Sandpiper were in the exact same area below the replaced posts and barbed wire.

On the estuary there was an area about 100 yards long fenced off to stop sheep going over a steep incline. It was also a small refuge for birds.Some idiot kept on cutting the barbed wire so he could take his dog down there. When I notified them they fixed it but the determined dog walker was having none of it.
One day he sawed off the posts each side and wrote ' F*uck Off' on the posts. When I informed the Estate they replaced the posts and the wire cutter/post destroyer finally gave up.
Only yesterday a Common Kingfisher and 3 Common Sandpiper were in the exact same area below the replaced posts and barbed wire.
The landowner should have taken legal action in this case. Frankly, if that was my land and some guy let his dog or other pet run on it against expressly stated rules, I'd be inclined to solve the problem with a rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back