• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID Help - New Mexico, USA (1 Viewer)

SusieRuss

These three hawks were seen at Bosque del Apache in NM. I'm not used to all the variations of Red-Tails and would love confirmation or alternate ID help. The first I'm sure is a Red-tail. Would this be a Kriders subspecies? The second didn't seem to have the typical coloration/pattern for a Red-tail (as far as i could see - I never saw the back. The front showed a faint rusty bib. I know the photo is bad - it was a long way off) so I'd love some kind of confirmation of that bird. The third was VERY dark. Would this be a Harlan's sub-species? Thanks in advance - I'm trying to learn...

Attachments

• 4P7A1745.1 copy.jpg
    4P7A1745.1 copy.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 4P7A1895.1 copy.jpg
    4P7A1895.1 copy.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 4P7A1985.1 copy.jpg
    4P7A1985.1 copy.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 59
#1 is easy. #2 is a buteo, looks good for red-tail despite the weak belly band. I'll plump for #3 as well, classic "backstrap" pattern of pale marks.

Any chance of Ferruginous on #2? That pale face doesn't look good for Redtail to me, though they can be so variable. I seem to see the yellow gape line and perhaps rufous "leggings" as well, but I'd love more opinions.

Last edited:
Any chance of Ferruginous on #2? That pale face doesn't look good for Redtail to me, though the can be so variable. I seem to see the yellow gape line and perhaps rufous "leggings" as well, but I'd love more opinions.
Does not fit my inner image of a FeHa
Niels

Another one for Ferruginous Hawk for #2 as per birdmeister's reasons. 1 and 3 are Red-tails, #3 could well be Harlan's due to the overall black plumage (without any apparent brownish/chestnut tones) with whitish speckling on the belly, but I am not experienced enough in picking them out to be confident on this.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back