• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor id help please (1 Viewer)

eanin1

This is a very long shot but can any of you raptor experts enlighten me as to what this raptor may be, it was circling high above the northern alentejo in Portugal

regards
Sean

Attachments

• DSC03487.JPG
    DSC03487.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 252
On lightening the image in photoshop I convinced myself that the inner primaries were paler -this & the general silhouette might fit a dark-phase Booted Eagle -but this is only a tentative suggestion.

Thanks for suggestions folks, the bird was circling and did not hover at any stage.
I was trying to eliminate species based on the long primary feathers appearing as fingers and I count five, would this not eliminate booted eagle?

Sean

The problem with a silhouette image of a banking bird is trying to get an accurate count of the fingers. State of moult & thus time of year that the image was taken are also relevant.
Here are links to two different Booted Eagle images -one has a clear 6 finger hand, whilst the other in a state of primary moult appears only to have four: www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=36446 & www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=120091 yet both these images are closer & of greater detail than your one.

Sadly I suspect you will never know for certain as to what it is, though like Rosbifs I'm pretty sure it's not a Short-toed Eagle as the wing proportions seem all wrong.

Steve

I have got another shot of that raptor which I thought was too small to be of any use but when increased in size it does actually look like a booted eagle.

Also on the thread of raptors any ideas on the bird in the second image attached

Attachments

• Raptor464.jpg
    Raptor464.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 153
  • unknown3420.JPG
    unknown3420.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 170
Struggling with your second image; bizarre as it sounds when I first looked at it I thought Harris Hawk! -Have to hold my hands up & admit defeat! ;)

Where was the image taken & do you have any notes of the bird? To me it looks to be long-tailed & short-winged ( or do I need bifocals?).

It was taken just outside Alvor village in the algarve, didnt take any notes. I was taking pictures of 2 woodchat shrikes when the bird flew from a tree close by and I just took a quick shot of it when it landed. I never gave it a second thought until I was downloading the images and had a look at it.

Both pics look good for Booted Eagle. The latter a dark-phase bird.

I saw 1000's on the MIGRES survey, and when at rest they can in strong sunshine show that pale hindcrown and overall dark appearance.

Sean

Hiroshima

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back