• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor, Mexico-City, February 2023 (2 Viewers)

Bitis

Austria
Hello,

I saw this raptor on February 1st 2023, flying over Bosque de Chapultepec, Mexico-City. White vent area, darkish underside and silhouette makes me think Harris Hawk?

Thanks in advance!

20240223_0002.jpg20240223_0001.jpg20240223_0003.jpg20240223_0004.jpg

Must be on this side then, I'd never heard the apostrosised version until fairly recently.
Must be the circles you move in... I've been apostrophising it (Harris's) 'on this side' at least as long as I've had to type it - 20+ years.
it was named in honour of Edward Harris. The apostrophe is only after the -s in cases of plurals
There's more to it than this, with words that end in S - and it also depends on one's adopted editorial style - but let's not dwell (y)
The (former?) N Am norm was, as Andy says, 'Harris hawk' (no apostrophe, no S) - I've no idea why. Now N Americans just have to stop putting a capital after a hyphen in bird names and I might even be happy...

[...]
The (former?) N Am norm was, as Andy says, 'Harris hawk' (no apostrophe, no S) - I've no idea why. Now N Americans just have to stop putting a capital after a hyphen in bird names and I might even be happy...
I suspect it has to do with the popularity of this species in falconry and popular culture in general. The official spelling is kind of a bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back