• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors today near Aachen [Germany] (1 Viewer)

David_

Germany
Hello,

today while while I was out looking for butterflies I saw a couple of raptors migrating. I could not make out any colors just silhouettes (which is a situation where I still struggle with IDs) but at least I managed to take some photos.
I think the first one is Black Kite and the second one a Honey Buzzard. The little bit of plumage visible on the underside of the second bird would also fit Honey Buzzard.
Do you agree with my IDs?

Attachments

• Black_Kite.jpeg
    Black_Kite.jpeg
    360 KB · Views: 46
  • Black_Kite2.jpeg
    Black_Kite2.jpeg
    439.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Honey_Buzzard.jpeg
    Honey_Buzzard.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Honey_Buzzard2.jpeg
    Honey_Buzzard2.jpeg
    522.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Honey_Buzzard3.jpeg
    Honey_Buzzard3.jpeg
    437.9 KB · Views: 48
Hello,

today while while I was out looking for butterflies I saw a couple of raptors migrating. I could not make out any colors just silhouettes (which is a situation where I still struggle with IDs) but at least I managed to take some photos.
I think the first one is Black Kite and the second one a Honey Buzzard. The little bit of plumage visible on the underside of the second bird would also fit Honey Buzzard.
Do you agree with my IDs?
I would say the tail of the second bird is a bit too short for Honey Buzzard (and also for a harrier), and the wings slightly too narrow. Therefore I agree with Daniel's assessment above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back