• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors ID help. Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo. (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
Date: Jan-2023

Bird #1
I can't tell what bird this is. The color overall looks pale, not sure if lightings (cloudy) could cause of it or perhaps it is still immature bird.

PIC-20230122-101435-DSC01351-A7R3.JPG PIC-20230122-101436-DSC01352-A7R3.JPG PIC-20230122-101438-DSC01363-A7R3.JPG

Birds in Group of 3
Just about 2 minutes later of seeing above bird, from far saw a group of 3 circling in the sky. Only able to get few shots of them. Not sure if related to previous seen Bird #1 above. Due to low quality details, I can't be sure if it is Jerdon's Baza.

PIC-20230122-101646-DSC01398-A7R3a.jpg PIC-20230122-101652-DSC01415-A7R3a.jpg PIC-20230122-101704-DSC01453-A7R3a.jpg

Thank you for any help.

They are Jerdon's Bazas. The best visible difference in these photos is the barring of the wing feathers: distinct black bar at the trailing edge, then greyer and less distinct bands towards to the bases of feathers. Pernis species have more distinct internal bars and lots of small greyish bars visible in the pale parts of the feathers.

Of course the wing shape is the character which is most often used in the field. Especially in the lates photo it is characteristic: Wing become strongly narrower close to the body while there is a distinct carpal angle in soaring bird and the outer part of the wing looks broader than inner part.

They are Jerdon's Bazas. The best visible difference in these photos is the barring of the wing feathers: distinct black bar at the trailing edge, then greyer and less distinct bands towards to the bases of feathers. Pernis species have more distinct internal bars and lots of small greyish bars visible in the pale parts of the feathers.

Of course the wing shape is the character which is most often used in the field. Especially in the lates photo it is characteristic: Wing become strongly narrower close to the body while there is a distinct carpal angle in soaring bird and the outer part of the wing looks broader than inner part.
Thank you very much Jalid. Great features pointed.

Oriental honey buzzards
Thanks @Butty for helping.

(Also weird wide staring eyes)
I didn't know it was looking behind (at me) while it was flying across and away from me. Only found out later after I looked back the photos 😅

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back