• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

raptors keep coming (1 Viewer)

fields13

Fields
Over the past 4 years i have seen many birds in my little garden in london, I have also had many Raptors fly over, lots of them I dont ID due to no binoculars like yesterdays maybe marsh harrier/Red kite but I have had both these species before. Also everyday I can see a perigrine from my window as it nests on building about a mile away, I have a loft extention so i get some great views. Also in the summer i get Hobbys flying over, they are seen locally. 2 winters ago i had a very brief Merlin that shot past the window as i was taken a picture of the snow outside, last week was my 4th Buzzard seen from my garden, but every time I see one it is a dot in the sky. Sparrowhawks are not that common in my garden, only seen it twice, 1 time eating starling, I heard a Tawny owl last year at night but never saw it. So that leaves my favorite raptor that ive seen from my garden, this was 11/09/2008 and i had already seen in my garden 5 Hobby, Chiffchaff, Common terns, all three at time was garden firsts but then out of nowhere a big bird flew from over the house into view, I was quickly trying to get my camera and binoculas but no chance of getting a pic, after getting a 10 minute show it was clearly a Honey buzzard, just to make sure i went online to find many people had also reported seeing one in the area. Im now looking outside waiting for another to add to my list. Hopefully Montagu's harrier?

Last edited:
That's an incredible selection of raptors. Do you report them on the London Birders Wiki(http://londonbirders.wikia.com/wiki/LatestNews)-it could be valuable for working out their migration routes across London, as well as just their feeding. Also, could you tell me where your local park is? Hobbies are relatively rare away from large reedy marshes in London, and I would love to get some photos.

Thanks,

Ben

With respect, may I suggest that folks be a bit more circumspect |:x| about discussing the nesting locations of Schedule 1 species. It isn't just conservation minded birders that read these fora.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back