• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors: Merritt Island, Florida (1 Viewer)

General Melchett

About 35 miles behind the front line
Supporter
Assuming photo 1 is an imm. bald eagle. Very unsure about the second. Red-shouldered hawk? Cheers

Attachments

• img_1969.jpg
    img_1969.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 80
  • img_1980.jpg
    img_1980.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 83
2. Presumably a Buteo. Not terribly like red-tailed hawk, but I wouldn't otherwise identify it. Any more photos? (including worse ones).

Wings look to be too short relative to tail. And one might expect paler throat and big dark eye-patch. Difficult to trust thinness and shape of bill given the photo's low quality (no offence).
Just look at the thinness of the bill, it’s kinda unique to the species, the relativity between tail and wings could very well be a photographic parallax illusion.

Wings look to be too short relative to tail. And one might expect paler throat and big dark eye-patch. Difficult to trust thinness and shape of bill given the photo's low quality (no offence).
Oh no offence taken … it’s a horrific photo :LOL:

FWIW GM, I’ve copied your original from camera to mobile and sharpened….

Attachments

• IMG_7246.jpeg
    IMG_7246.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 39
Indeed, Snail Kite should have zero tail projection, bill may be an artefact but these wings are short
I think the artefact lies in the tail to wing perspective, rather than the bill shape which in my eyes is outstandingly obvious….my money is on the front end.

Apologies everyone … managed to dig up two more (equally crappy) shots after much delving in the bin. Probably doesn’t make it any clearer but …

Attachments

• A9CDC4A6-6D8A-4E62-9F9F-232555C7C3B4.jpeg
    A9CDC4A6-6D8A-4E62-9F9F-232555C7C3B4.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 73CAA47A-04A3-499E-9216-4F07C83D6DE9.jpeg
    73CAA47A-04A3-499E-9216-4F07C83D6DE9.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 38

Users who are viewing this thread

Back