• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors: Merritt Island, Florida (1 Viewer)

... and the wings are actually longer than the tail
If we put the “perspective element” to one side, after moulting and during, would not a juvenile’s prims.be shorter, totally ignoring the “front end” for the time being?

Look at the two photos of juveniles that you have just posted and you will see that this is not obviously the case.

If we put the “perspective element” to one side, after moulting and during, would not a juvenile’s prims.be shorter, totally ignoring the “front end” for the time being?
Ken, single pictures (these are all from the sam point of view) can be deceptive indeed, but I can not imagine how to turn the bird to lengthen the wings.
Also there is a bold secondary pattern as Butty explained and an almost invisible one in your images

No pun intended, but the smoke screening on the wing barring is really of a secondary nature, that said, my primary focus is on the “front end”
A question Tom, what are the odds of an “artefact” producing a “Snail Kite’s” head/bill on GM’s second image, you can clearly see the yellow base to the bill (long and narrow) much more so than any other raptor of the region?

the wing barring is really of a secondary nature
Not at all. You can't dismiss a feature just because it doesn't fit your pre-existing thesis. If a bird clearly has a feature which precludes it from being a certain species (secondary-barring is visible here in two photos) then it isn't that species - and you must look elsewhere for explanations of features which, though suggestive of that species, are inherently dubious.
Poor-quality fuzzy photos can produce all manner of weird, unexpected and even inexplicable effects - and, if this bird has had the apparent size and shape of its bill changed thereby, it won't be the first time that any of us has seen such an effect.
yellow base to the bill (long and narrow)
Whether you mean here that the yellow base to the bill is long and narrow, or that the whole bill itself is long and narrow, that's wrong. Look again.

A question Tom, what are the odds of an “artefact” producing a “Snail Kite’s” head/bill on GM’s second image, you can clearly see the yellow base to the bill (long and narrow) much more so than any other raptor of the region?
Red-shouldered has large yellow cere where as Snail Kite juvenile has very small yellow cere not even visible on your second (not so good). picture.
Bill is so small in these not so perfect pictures that any movement blur combined with jpeg artefacts may make the bill more slender or bolder
This said I have hardly any experience with nearctic birds of prey, so let us give a bit space for our american experts

Tom, I’m referring to the 2nd set of images 1st image (new), to my eye the bill (as “arte-facted” as you might want), shows a long slim yellow cere (bill base) and the 2nd image as in the original set again….showing a markedly slim, down curved bill…the likes of which I’ve never seen on a raptor before.

FWIW Snail Kite is a Merritt Island speciality?

No, they're not particularly common there.
Interesting, on the web I found SK in bold type along with several other species, as being found in the Merritt Island area, no doubt not as numerous as RSH, with both being ticks if I ever get to Florida.

Cheers

Interesting, on the web I found SK in bold type along with several other species, as being found in the Merritt Island area, no doubt not as numerous as RSH, with both being ticks if I ever get to Florida.

Cheers
They certainly occur there, but there not common and are far easier in other parts of the state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back