• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (7 Viewers)

Hi Nick,

Many of the lanes around and above the Churnet Valley are full of snow and ice. I wouldn't chance it with a car to Brookley's and you probably wouldn't get there anyway. Even if you did you might not get out of there. You could walk across country though. I would imagine Brookley's is frozen solid at the moment.

It was - 10 up here in Cheadle and surrounding area this morning.

Dean

Only -6.5 this morning in Etruria and when i left Westport this afternoon at 16-15hrs, it was a barmy -2.5!

Hi Nick,

On my way home this evening Stoke Radio gave a forecast of up to -14 degrees tonight in North Staffs :eek!: The Staffordshire Moorlands and Derbyshire Dales are largely blocked with snow. A friend of mine who lives up there is cut off at present and has been unable to get out of there all week. All the high roads are blocked and for a few days the Ashbourne to Buxton Road was closed. Not sure if this has opened up yet.

Dean:t:

Last edited:
Moore-Hen,

I know someone who visits Aqualate regularly, but is not computer wise or geared up with one. I will give him a bit of an ear bending and get him to txt/phone me and let me know of any interesting sightings..and I will post it on this thread.

cheers
Rob

Cheers Rob that would be excellent! Aqualate is such a good but difficult to work site due to the access but does get some really good birds...just that they often don't get reported! If you have a contact who will release the news then that would be a real bonus...just don't tell HRH...:-O

Extra News for the 7th Jan

2 Caspian Gull (ad & 2w) - Chasewater roost late afternoon then flew NE (+ ad Yellow-legged Gull)

In regards to the roads here in South Staffs, Mr Belvide quotes the roads around Belvide as icy but passable and all the main roads are fine and most of the side roads are o.k. too...although i have got a 4-wheel drive now (London Tractor...;)) so that might be why i'm finding it easy...:t:

Now must surely be the time for somebody to find that overwintering Staffs mega at their garden feeder...a Black-throated Thrush perhaps...or maybe really big...a Baltimore Oriole...:-O (There is one in the Netherlands so why not...;))

Well it look's like the cold snap has finally forced a Black-throated Thrush to be found...unfortunately it's in Glamorgan...:-O still keep checking those garden thrushes...and report it here if you do see one...;)

Oh well maybe Staffs will get one as well....nah stuff it let's just have the Oriole instead...:t:

In preparation for this weekend, can we have any updates on the road conditions around Blith, Belv etc. I presume no ones been to Brookleys this week. Ventured down to Uttoxeter today and the main roads seem clear.

Copmere is almost totally frozen over now, with everything rammed into the far north-west corner.

Steve

Well it look's like the cold snap has finally forced a Black-throated Thrush to be found...unfortunately it's in Glamorgan...:-O still keep checking those garden thrushes...and report it here if you do see one...;)

Oh well maybe Staffs will get one as well....nah stuff it let's just have the Oriole instead...:t:

Well predicted :t:

Thrushes do seem to be everywhere right now, even a small Mountain Ash in my road was descended on by a mixed flock of about 100 Fieldfare/Redwing...now, where's that Dusky?!!

Steve

Well predicted :t:

Thrushes do seem to be everywhere right now, even a small Mountain Ash in my road was descended on by a mixed flock of about 100 Fieldfare/Redwing...now, where's that Dusky?!!

Steve

A Dusky or a Red-throated Thrush would go down a treat...i thought i'd sorted that lot by seeing Naumann's and Black-throated...then they go and split them again...typical!!

I decided to venture into Shrops at lunchtime for the Ring-billed but managed to get there just as all the Gulls were flushed by a Buzzard...that will teach me to venture out of Staffs and into enemy territory...:-O

I predict any Staffs biggy will turn up in somebodys garden with this weather...might be the best place...just sit and wait in the warm rather than venturing to a frozen lake...like i did! :C

Staffs Biggie in Garden?

A Dusky or a Red-throated Thrush would go down a treat...i thought i'd sorted that lot by seeing Naumann's and Black-throated...then they go and split them again...typical!!

I decided to venture into Shrops at lunchtime for the Ring-billed but managed to get there just as all the Gulls were flushed by a Buzzard...that will teach me to venture out of Staffs and into enemy territory...:-O

I predict any Staffs biggy will turn up in somebodys garden with this weather...might be the best place...just sit and wait in the warm rather than venturing to a frozen lake...like i did! :C

Wise words indeed Mr Moore! Accordin' to RBA, two Lap' Buntas in a Newcastle garden briefly at 1.00pm!

Andy.

In preparation for this weekend, can we have any updates on the road conditions around Blith, Belv etc. I presume no ones been to Brookleys this week. Ventured down to Uttoxeter today and the main roads seem clear.

Had a quick visit down the 'Siberian looking 'Belvide this afternoon. The approach road to the reserve is very slippery, but if your take your time it's passable.

As expected the reserve was pretty quiet apart from the two feeding stations and some Wildfowl crammed on to a tiny bit of distant unfrozen water.

cheers
Rob

Hanchurch Woods

Nice walk in the snow this morning - lots of small groups of crossbills, min count 55 birds (probably more) backed up by 350 siskins, 11 bullfinches and a mighty count of 3 goldcrests :eek!: . Also 40 pink-feet flew over NW at 10:10.
Nick

No sign of the Ferruginous Duck at Brookleys Lake this afternoon. In fact, only two aythya duck left, one female Scaup and one female Tufted.

The lane to Brookleys from the Ellastone side is clear, but it looks decidedly dodgy heading towards Alton Towers.

Little Egret at Westport

Joined the select band of birders who have seen Little Egret at Westport this morning the bird was perched briefly in trees at the lakeside before flying into the Nature reserve where it stayed for a couple mins before flying upstream. The 4th record I'm told.B :)
Also today Billy Low had 3 skeins of Pink footed Geese NW over Hanchurch plus the Crossbills are still present.

Aqualate 12.00 - 14.00

2 x Water Rail showing well on the ice right outside the hide at Aqualate. Bittern heard close by but not seen. Only two Thin strips of open water which was is sanctuary to about a 1000 birds.
Copmere seems to be completely frozen over and birdless.

Attachments

• waterailbg3.jpg
    waterailbg3.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 15
Green winged teal

Hi is there any news of the green winged teal at Blithfield? Fancy popping over in the morning if its still about.
Regards Glyn

2 x Water Rail showing well on the ice right outside the hide at Aqualate. Bittern heard close by but not seen. Only two Thin strips of open water which was is sanctuary to about a 1000 birds.
Copmere seems to be completely frozen over and birdless.

Nice pic of the Water rail Rob, we might pop over there tomorrow.

Joined the select band of birders who have seen Little Egret at Westport this morning the bird was perched briefly in trees at the lakeside before flying into the Nature reserve where it stayed for a couple mins before flying upstream. The 4th record I'm told.B :)
Also today Billy Low had 3 skeins of Pink footed Geese NW over Hanchurch plus the Crossbills are still present.

Off the top of my head, Westport Little Egrets are singles on Aug 10th 2005, April 23rd 2007 and May 7th 2009. I think there must be another that hasn't appeared in the WMBC so that would make this the 5th, as i know my 2007 and 2009 sightings were the 3rd and 4th records.

No sign of the elusive Blithfield GND in 2hrs of searching today, but i'm sure it will be reported again sometime. Didn't go into Tad Bay so i don't know about the GWTeal. Branston GP's was mostly frozen, but there were about five Redshank present. Whitemoor - 52 Mutes and the lanes are quite slippy there, driving on compacted snow.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back