• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (9 Viewers)

News for the 17th March

3 Waxwing - still Glascote, Tamworth - 200 yards south of the B5000 Sheepcote Lane roundabout at 8.15.
2 LRP - Doxey Marshes - from the hide - first confirmed of the year i think?

Doxey

First LRPs of the year in front of the hide on the scrape, which is looking rather nice and muddy. Also there up to 8 Redshank, 3 Oystercatchers and 2 Shelduck. Another pair of Shelduck on Boundary Flash today, but appear to be quite mobile, and the Little Egret around the new scrape from the willow screen platform.

Scott

A frayed knot - there were 1-2 LRP confirmed at Alvecote, Pretty Pigs Lake on 13-14th March.

AHHH FIDDLESTICKS!

That doesn't count as 'real' Staffs - it's just an outpost of Staffs where birders from W*rks can pretend they are birding in a real inland mecca of a county and see some decent birds for a change...;) :-O

News for Real Staffordshire!

News for the 18th Mar

Little Gull - Blithfield - adult off Beech Tree Point

Extra News for the 17th Mar

Avocet - Belvide at the west end (8th site record) + ad Yellow-legged Gull roosted + Sand Martin (first of the year i think?)

I'm only going to record the first sightings of the year for summer migrants on this thread...unless they are Rare & Scarce summer migrants obviously...and not breeding of course...:t:

Numbers are building - five LRPs infront of the hide at Doxey today. Little Egret still present where Scott said. Also some Barnies present, are they wild? Lots of pied wagtails as well

Numbers are building - five LRPs infront of the hide at Doxey today. Little Egret still present where Scott said. Also some Barnies present, are they wild? Lots of pied wagtails as well

Great news about the LRP numbers continuing to rise. Over the next few weeks I'll be keeping my eye's peeled for Wood Sandpiper which has a habit of turning up in May. I presume the Barnacle Geese are feral, although we get them every winter. They are also more tolerant of people, more so than the Canada Geese on site. Whether their wild or not, they were getting a little frisky yesterday... :-O

Here are some images from today at Doxey. Not the best images but a good record. All digiscoped.

Attachments

• P1030210 (Large).JPG
    P1030210 (Large).JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 21
  • P1030213 (Large).JPG
    P1030213 (Large).JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 15
  • P1030219 (Large).JPG
    P1030219 (Large).JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 9
  • P1030236 (Large).JPG
    P1030236 (Large).JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 16
Here are some images from today at Doxey. Not the best images but a good record. All digiscoped.

Nice pics mate have you got any pics of the habitat looks inviting for waders - its always nice to get a feel for a place. Or as anyone else got pics of Doxey I have never visited the reserve but only get to see it from the M6

cheers John

There is no access to Doxey Marshes

All the above images were actually taken from the M6, while I was parked on the hard shoulder
honest

All the above images were actually taken from the M6, while I was parked on the hard shoulder
honest

There is loads of access to Doxey marshes as it is a Staffordshire wildlife trust reserve. It has many paths through it with a viewing screen and hide.
Take a look on the website.

honest

Nice one lads
funny enough I always have a problem with my car on the M6 just about opposite Doxey on every occassion must be a magnetiic field radiating that forces me to stop there. It might be safer to visit the reserve from the Town
cheers John

Doxey Marshes Friday 19/3

honest

WIMPY HAS A WEIRD SENSE OF HUMOUR.
I PAID MY FIRST VISIT TO DOXEY TODAY,OF COURSE IT WAS OPEN.
HIS PHOTOS WERE TAKEN FROM THE HIDE NOT THE M6, 4 LITTLE RINGED PLOVER WERE STILL AROUND THOSE STONES IN HIS PIC JUST 20YDS FROM THE HIDE.
ALSO FROM THE HIDE A HANDFUL OF REDSHANK,OIKS AND LAPWING.
I SAW 3 SAND MARTINS PASSING THROUGH DOXEY.

Some habitat views from Doxey this morning. ATB. Neil.

Last edited:
Smyrna, thanks. :t:

It's called a job lot - to get the image of the Little ringed Plover and egret, you get the reasonably scare redshank and common as muck pied wagtail thrown in for free!

Actually redshank often get a mention on this "scarce and rare" thread.

So apologies for that inappropriate wagtail image ;)

Last edited:
dartford's

As anybody seen the dartford's on the chase since the bad weather ? plenty of stories about some bloke took a photo ! But any of you birder's seen any. B :)

As anybody seen the dartford's on the chase since the bad weather ? plenty of stories about some bloke took a photo ! But any of you birder's seen any.

UNBELIEVABLE !!! After all the earlier posts regarding this subject !!
NO there are no Dartfords on the chase now they all perished during
the very hard winter !! so no more posting required on this suject.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back