• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (4 Viewers)

Hi all,

Guess what? Bernie Smith has left the county for a week to explore the Western Isles. It is a dead cert a goodie will turn up in Staffs when oue beloved Bernie is away. The list now stands at Spotted Crake Belvide, Sqaucco Heron Blithfield, Belted Kingfisher Shugborough, Spotted Sandpiper Belvide, Purple Heron Doxey, Lesser Yellowlegs Utch.:t:

Can we all chip in and send him away a few more times a year.:t:

Lesser Yellowlegs

What a cracking find and a cracking place (first time I've been) ....now i know where all (nearly) the waders are in Staffs. ;)

The Yellowlegs was still showing well at 8.35pm in fading light, when I left.

When was the last one in Staffs?

cheers

Rob

What a cracking find and a cracking place (first time I've been) ....now i know where all (nearly) the waders are in Staffs. ;)

The Yellowlegs was still showing well at 8.35pm in fading light, when I left.

When was the last one in Staffs?

cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

There have now been 3 records in Staffs. The first was at Blithfield Reservoir 15th-30th September 1979. One was at Knighton Reservoir 11th-16th November 1995.

Cheers Steve

cheers

Rob

Oh nooo, the secret is out!! ;)

Just to give a flavour of the excellent wader passage this spring at Utch, some selected max. counts;

Sanderling 14
Dunlin 40
Ringed Plover 41

All pretty impressive counts for a relatively small site.

Plus 2 Wood Sands, 3 Turnstone, Bar-tailed Godwit, Whimbrel, Grey Plover. :t:

Oh nooo, the secret is out!! ;)

Just to give a flavour of the excellent wader passage this spring at Utch, some selected max. counts;

Sanderling 14
Dunlin 40
Ringed Plover 41

All pretty impressive counts for a relatively small site.

Well done Mr Barker on a fantastic find and just rewards for all the hard graft being put in by the 'utch' boyz!!

A much needed Staffs tick for many of the new generation, the Knighton bird was also a lifer for me at the time! Haven't heard anything from Knighton for years, wonder if Dave Barnes is still doing it as a local patch?

Extra News for the 29th May

Avocet - Drayton Bassett Pits
2 Ruddy Shelduck - Tittesworth at 08.00
Sanderling - also at Uttoxeter Quarry

Will 'Mega Monday' bring all of us a Staffs tick or did Andy and the Lesserlegs just break cover a day early....

Spoooooky !!!

Is it me or is this business of a Staffs mega every late May bank holiday weekend getting a bit spooky - not complaining mind !!!B :)

Lesser Yellowlegs

May I remind everyone that gravel workings are very sensitive sites, do not stray off permissive paths, especially during work times.

The Barton Desert Wheatear cost me my patch site due to the ignorant behavior of birders.

Am I starting to sound like a grumpy birder?

Lesser Yellowlegs still present this morning and showing really well.

Dean

Yes you are! :-O No of course not, and well said. :t: At the end of the day it's not a nature reserve, it is a working quarry. And if they are working, they've got some pretty heafty machinery that I wouldn't want to get in the way of.

From where the bird has been getting to, it can be seen perfectly well from the public footpath anyway. :t:

May I remind everyone that gravel workings are very sensitive sites, do not stray off permissive paths, especially during work times.

The Barton Desert Wheatear cost me my patch site due to the ignorant behavior of birders.

Am I starting to sound like a grumpy birder?

No need to stray anywhere to see the Lesser Yellowlegs. Still present and showing very well from public path.. Had cracking views through scope walking, running, feeding, preening, stretching wings and briefly in flight a couple of times. Watched it for about 3 hours along with Dunlin, Ringed Plover and a single Sanderling. I'm leaving now to look for breakfast and hot coffee!

Dean.

Last edited:
No need to stray anywhere to see the Lesser Yellowlegs. Still present and showing very well from public path.. Had cracking views through scope walking, running, feeding, preening, stretching wings and briefly in flight a couple of times. Watched it for about 3 hours along with Dunlin, Ringed Plover and a single Sanderling. I'm leaving now to look for breakfast and hot coffee!

Dean.

There's a McDonalds just down the road on the next roundabout if you don't mind filling up with some junk...which is quite nice to do from time to time, particularly after standing in a monsoon for 3 hours!! Hats off to you sir for your diligence :t:

In all the excitement yesterday I forgot to say there was a Red Kite over
the stables at Lower Hatton which is behind Hanchurch yesterday morning

l y legs

best i could do photo wise in poor conditions this morning. well done andy.
must hav been there same time as you dean, didnt realise you were there,
guess that was you with the hood up?.

s.g.

Attachments

• lesser y legs 038 (Large).jpg
    lesser y legs 038 (Large).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 55
Hi Steve,

There were several birders about in the time I was there all braving the elements. I was well concealed with hood up. I did not see you but I would have said hello if I had.. In any event I got a good soaking! I am at the quarry now but the Lesser Yellowlegs is much further over and to the right of the pit. We had closer views this morning with it being on the muddy stretch out out in front of us. Hey its sunny and warm.

Dean

Hi All,

Looks like quite a bit of movement today.

Even Gailey got in on the act with a nice adult Kittiwake. It showed well down to 20 yds on the sailing lake viewable from the causeway. It was present when I left at 18:00.

The Blithfield Osprey showed well from the causeway mid afternoon and dived a few times but was unsuccessful. Also 2 Sanderling wit 5 Ringies and Dunlin along Admaston Reach.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back