• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (4 Viewers)

Hey up folks, glad you all enjoyed "Frank the Yank"! Hopefully we Utch boys can get back to some serious birdin' again now, along the now very well worn path. As you can imagine I was shakin' like the proverbial "shiting dog" when I found it and the missus reckons I've been even more useless than normal!!

Andy.

Nice one mate, may start visiting more often only approx 20 mins from home and I'm sick of seeing nowt up the Void-I remember when me & Bill Low briefly thought we'd found one at Blith years ago - needless to say when we got closer it was an imm Redshank :-C

Nice one Andy - just back from 5 days in the Big Apple, so gutted to say I missed it and have duly submitted my membership of the Bernie Smith "missed the Mega" Club.
Nick

Hey up folks, glad you all enjoyed "Frank the Yank"! Hopefully we Utch boys can get back to some serious birdin' again now, along the now very well worn path. As you can imagine I was shakin' like the proverbial "shiting dog" when I found it and the missus reckons I've been even more useless than normal!!

Andy.

Red kites still making it on to this thread? Don't think it'll be long until they don't quite qualify as rare or scarce though.

One drifted over Leek High School today at about mid-day.

Adam

Yeh we will give you Red Kite still, if not for scarcity still for appearance!

Extra News for the 4th June

Drake Common Scoter - Belvide

Red kite also yesterday morning as I was driving past the County showground near Stafford, around 8.30am.

Little Tern still present at Blithfield at 6pm between the causeway and Beech Tree Point; nice way to round off the day after a gentle amble around Middleton Lakes for the first time.

I've just spent an hour or so looking through two counties forums to see if anybody else had reported seeing nesting peregrines and unless I've not gone far enough back then today I made what was for me a wonderful discovery.

I spent nearly an hour watching both adult birds bringing back prey to one (I think) chick. The nest could be viewed from about 80-100 metres.

Also I have never seen so many redstart (over a dozen pairs) pretty much in the same location.

Adam... PM me for location if you like.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back