• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (4 Viewers)

Poss Eastern Yellow Wagtail.

Found a very interesting looking Yellow Wagtail type today at Blithfield along Admaston Reach.

The bird was purely grey and white. All of the underparts were white and not even a hint of yellow/lemon on the throat, breast, belly, flanks or vent. The upperparts were grey with no tinge of olive. The supercilium was broad and white as were the wing bars.

Most interestingly my self and Graham Mant heard the bird call several times and it was obviously different to the nearby Yellow Wags. It was reminiscent of Yellow Wag but with a distinctive 'buzz' to the call. This could easily be heard amongst the other wags when they called at the same time.

It is clear that there is a lot to learn about these wags, but by looking at this individual and most importanly hearing a distinctly different call clearly showed this was something interesting.

Poss Eastern Yellow Wagtail.

Found a very interesting looking Yellow Wagtail type today at Blithfield along Admaston Reach.

The bird was purely grey and white. All of the underparts were white and not even a hint of yellow/lemon on the throat, breast, belly, flanks or vent. The upperparts were grey with no tinge of olive. The supercilium was broad and white as were the wing bars.

Most interestingly my self and Graham Mant heard the bird call several times and it was obviously different to the nearby Yellow Wags. It was reminiscent of Yellow Wag but with a distinctive 'buzz' to the call. This could easily be heard amongst the other wags when they called at the same time.

It is clear that there is a lot to learn about these wags, but by looking at this individual and most importanly hearing a distinctly different call clearly showed this was something interesting.

Interesting indeed Steve - was the bird present all afternoon?

Phil

News for the 17th Sept

Juv Shag - Stoneydelph Lake, Wilnecote, Tamworth
Black-necked Grebe - Branston Pits also Little Stint, Curlew Sand & Ruff
Juv Black & 3 Arctic Tern - Belvide

Can anyone clarify Branston pits for me please, is Branston water park the same place? if not could you point me in the right direction... i'm planing on going for the Black necked Grebe tomorrow if its still there.

Cheers
JonB :)

Can anyone clarify Branston pits for me please, is Branston water park the same place? if not could you point me in the right direction... i'm planing on going for the Black necked Grebe tomorrow if its still there.

Cheers
JonB :)

Jon - as has been pointed out before during the time when the pec sand was present, the water park and gravel pits are two separate sites, with 2-3 fields in between. The GP's are a fully working sand extraction pit with a public footpath running thru the area, so if you are not familiar with the area, it could be easy to dumped on by a big truck or wander off into the quick sand area. Its really best avoided during working hrs, but you will find directions on these links
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2228255&postcount=12927
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2228259&postcount=12928
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2228264&postcount=12929

Interesting indeed Steve - was the bird present all afternoon?

Phil

Hi Phil,

First seen early afternoon. It then disappeared for an hour or so somewhere in the cattle field. It then re-appeared(located by call) for a couple of minutes before going back amongst the cattle.

I spent another couple of hours but no further sign. In fact, far less activity with the Yellow Wags later afternoon.

Very interesting that Wagtail, they are just so tough to nail, I think impossible is the best description. Even the bird trapped in Devon last winter that had DNA and measurements took is still under debate! A photo would be a real bonus as I think a very long hind claw (like Blyth's Pipit) is a good indicater of the far Eastern races.

News for the 19th Sept

2 Sandwich Tern, 2 Barwits, 2 Curlew Sand, Arctic Tern & Osprey - Blithfield
Black Tern - Aqualate Mere
2 Arctic Tern - Belvide
4 Crossbill - flew SW over Wightwick, Wolverhampton

Jon - as has been pointed out before during the time when the pec sand was present, the water park and gravel pits are two separate sites, with 2-3 fields in between. The GP's are a fully working sand extraction pit with a public footpath running thru the area, so if you are not familiar with the area, it could be easy to dumped on by a big truck or wander off into the quick sand area. Its really best avoided during working hrs, but you will find directions on these links
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2228255&postcount=12927
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2228259&postcount=12928
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2228264&postcount=12929

Sorry for the late reply Nick... I didn't go in the end, thanks for the warning.

Jon

No sign of juv Shag at Gailey this morning.

However, a rather pleasing personal bird was a fem Pintail on the sailing lake. This is a Gailey tick and has been pretty rare at Gailey the last few years.

No sign of juv Shag at Gailey this morning.

However, a rather pleasing personal bird was a fem Pintail on the sailing lake. This is a Gailey tick and has been pretty rare at Gailey the last few years.

Bloody thing had gone by 10.30am, boats were out so must have flushed it off! The last Pintail I had at Gailey (a party of 3) also flew off when the boats came out...:C. 2 Swift still present though, the latest I've ever had in Staffs.

Extra News for the 21st Sept

2 Arctic Tern - still Belvide

Could I point out to the group about a proposed planning application for 28 holiday lodges in the field next to the car park on the causeway.

The Blithfield Birders Group is in discussion with the relevant authorities voicing our concern about the development and object to it.

You could help by using any means at your disposal to alert interested parties to object to East Staffordshire Borough Council to allow permission for a 28 holiday home installation to be built on St.Stephen's Hill Farm overlooking St.Stephen's Bay.

We think that this development will have a devastating effect on the whole section of the reservoir for birds

Most feel it effects the SSSI through disturbance to birds such as the 100's of wintering Wigeon plus breeding birds such as the threatened Tree Sparrow,Kestrel and Little Owl on the Hill plus Lapwing and Little Ringed Plovers on the shore. Migrant wading birds such as Spotted Redshank,Sanderling,Dunlin and Ringed Plovers are also threatened.

Of course St. Stephens has also in the past hosted Britain's first and so far only inland record of Arctic Warbler and Staffordshire's only White Rumped Sandpiper.

The St Stephen's area at Blithfield is clearly a site of international importance to bird life.

The revised time for closure of the consultation period is 27th September 2011.

All objections must quote the reference P/2011/00888/JI

Send objections to [email protected]

The proposed plan is available in the main hide in Stansley Wood for your perusal, it make grim reading.

Most proposers for the development appear to have vested interest of course and will no doubt make money out of the site, Blithfield Reservoir will just get more casual trespass. Remember the reservoir access is via permit only, Mr Brown of St Stephens Hill Farm appears to think otherwise and in the past as used it as a selling point to his barn conversions

steady movement of meadow pipits again this morning,3 swallows,2 ravens and two buzzards over dimmingsdale this morning,still alot of tree felling going on,thinning the pine trees is fine for the birds,not so sure about taking out so many oaks.

would have thought phytophthora would be spread by the heavy machinery dragging trees through undergrowth covered in mud on to the public footpaths if the disease is present scott

Could I point out to the group about a proposed planning application for 28 holiday lodges in the field next to the car park on the causeway.

The Blithfield Birders Group is in discussion with the relevant authorities voicing our concern about the development and object to it.

You could help by using any means at your disposal to alert interested parties to object to East Staffordshire Borough Council to allow permission for a 28 holiday home installation to be built on St.Stephen's Hill Farm overlooking St.Stephen's Bay.

Hi Mart,

Grim news indeed. I was discussing this with Graham last week.

Can we urge as many birders as possible to e-mail Mr Imber objections before the 27th Sep to make our point.

This really could be horrendous for Blithfield and we need to strike whilst the 'iron is hot'!

Blithfield is one of our best birding spots in Staffs and we all need to do what we can to protect it.

All the best

Last edited:

We think that this development will have a devastating effect on the whole section of the reservoir for birds

Most feel it effects the SSSI through disturbance to birds such as the 100's of wintering Wigeon plus breeding birds such as the threatened Tree Sparrow,Kestrel and Little Owl on the Hill plus Lapwing and Little Ringed Plovers on the shore. Migrant wading birds such as Spotted Redshank,Sanderling,Dunlin and Ringed Plovers are also threatened.

Of course St. Stephens has also in the past hosted Britain's first and so far only inland record of Arctic Warbler and Staffordshire's only White Rumped Sandpiper.

The St Stephen's area at Blithfield is clearly a site of international importance to bird life.

The revised time for closure of the consultation period is 27th September 2011.

All objections must quote the reference P/2011/00888/JI

Send objections to [email protected]

The proposed plan is available in the main hide in Stansley Wood for your perusal, it make grim reading.

Most proposers for the development appear to have vested interest of course and will no doubt make money out of the site, Blithfield Reservoir will just get more casual trespass. Remember the reservoir access is via permit only, Mr Brown of St Stephens Hill Farm appears to think otherwise and in the past as used it as a selling point to his barn conversions

Hi Martin,

I have sent a cordial message to mr imber, being an old blithers patch worker. The claim of staffs only white rumped sand is surely erronoeus, there are at least 2 other records i'm aware of, both from the eighties. Tittersworth resr and Rudyard Res. Do you mean staffs 1st record?

Arctic warbler happy days eh!!

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back