• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (3 Viewers)

Just called into Wolseley center to pick up some bird seed and noticed on the sighting board that a lesser spotted woodpecker had been seen today.
I didn't have time to look myself but wondered if anybody else has heard about this??

News for the 22nd Oct

Hen Harrier - Cannock Chase at the south end of Sherbrook Valley (no time given)
Rock Pipit - Belvide on the dam

Extra News for the 21st Oct

Curlew Sand - Uttoxeter Quarry

News for the 24th Oct

Great Grey Shrike - Cannock Chase in Holly near the shooting butts at 11.00
Hen Harrier - male Cannock Chase near chase road corner at 17.20

Extra News for the 23rd Oct

Firecrest - Cannock Chase at the German Cemetary
Lesser Spotted Wood - Trentham Gardens

Last edited:
News for the 25th Oct

2 Firecrest - Cannock Chase at the shooting butts at 10.30 - follow path on lefthand side of the shooting range also Great Grey Shrike in holly by the shooting butts at 10.40. Male Hen Harrier - again over Brocton Field from track accessed from Chase Road Corner car park at 17.45.

Short-eared Owl - singles at Berry Hill Fields & Croxden Quarry
Jack Snipe - Pipe Green, Lichfield in stream at 09.30

Cannock Chase

Hi All

A fair number of birders out on the Chase this afternoon ... and a good time was had by all. When I managed to get there early afternoon, I had already missed the two Firecrests along the path by the shooting butts.
But the Great Grey Shrike (surely our returning friend from last winter ?) was already performing well in 'holly bush' valley. When I left there around 3.30pm, the bird was still doing it's stuff ... diving down to catch insects on the ground, from a perch on the holly bush or from one of the silver birches behind it, and then taking them back up to it's perch to eat them. Taking a digibinned record flight-shot is never easy, but in the one below, you can just make out it's prey ... and see the birds typically long tail. Let's hope it stays around again for others to enjoy.
Most of us watching the GGS then moved over to the other side of the Chase in the hope we might see the male Hen Harrier that has been around for a few days now. It was getting late, raining slightly and getting a bit darker, when the bird was finally seen at 5.45pm ... my first male HH and a great bird ... in fact "perhaps my favourite one of all" was how one experienced birder next to me remarked. As I say, not a bad afternoon's birding !

Cheers

Andy R.

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 27
Hi
Living in Worcs, I've only recently starting venturing to Belvide for some birding, and have yet to tackle Cannock Chase. Was thinking of popping up at the weekend, could someone give me a bit of advice where to park for the GGS( I know it's not a cert). This and Firecrest would be lifers for me, as well as HH so it has the potential to be a worthwhile venture, but like anything it helps knowing the lie of the land in advance..if any one can help on the forum just giving some basic directions or PM me it would be appreciated:t:

Last edited:
Not really directions, but some of the places that people mention on here. Hope it will give you some degree of orientation.

Roger

Attachments

• Chase map (Medium).jpg
    Chase map (Medium).jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 44
Firecrest reported at Coombes Valley on the 25th October. Seen along the woodcock trail by a visitor who was certain it was a firecrest and not a goldcrest. Not had chance to get out and look for it myself. I would usually write reported sightings off, but this bloke seemed certain and given the recent sightings at Cannock Chase and the influx in other parts of the country, I think there's a decent chance the sighting is genuine.

Adam

Take Action - Cyprus Bird Slaughter

Hi everyone,

destined for the restaurant trade, many migrant birds are ending up in mist nets and on lime sticks as we speak.....

if you've got a few spare seconds, please sign the e petition on the Bird Life Cyprus Web site at www.birdlifecyprus.org

Once on the site click 'sign the letter'. (over 13th signatures already)

cheers

Rob

c. chase

a few shots from the chase this morning.

s.g.

Attachments

• F DEER--G G S C CHASE 037 (Large).jpg
    F DEER--G G S C CHASE 037 (Large).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 18
  • F DEER--G G S C CHASE 041 (Large).jpg
    F DEER--G G S C CHASE 041 (Large).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 13
  • F DEER--G G S C CHASE 049 (Large).jpg
    F DEER--G G S C CHASE 049 (Large).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 22
  • F DEER--G G S C CHASE 010 (Large).jpg
    F DEER--G G S C CHASE 010 (Large).jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 27
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back