• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (2 Viewers)

Extra News for the 28th Nov

Great Grey Shrike - Chase near the butts this am also 14 Crossbill
Med Gull - ad Belvide but no sign of 1w Scaup

Last edited:
News for the 29th Nov

Great Grey Shrike - still Upper Longdon in the same area

Extra News for the 28th Nov

Putative adult Azorean Gull - roosted at Chasewater (for 1st time since 15th Nov for this bird)

Last edited:
Extra News for the 30th Nov

Great Grey Shrike - still Upper Longdon in same area and showing well
Caspian Gull - adult again Stubbers Green early anoon

Extra News for 30th Nov

Putative near-ad Azorean Gull - again Chasewater in roost
Water Pipit - Doxey Marshes from the hide

The most interesting report yday was of a Firecrest found dead in Wolverhampton City Centre by the Civic near where I used to be based! I text the lad who I expected it to be and he knew nothing of it! Anybody know the details? Hit a window I guess, poor bugger...:C

Any news on the dead Firecrest?

No I've heard nothing about who found it or exactly where it was...would still be interested to know the circumstances even tho it was dead!

News for the 3rd Dec

Ringtail Hen Harrier - Whitemore Haye near Sittles Farm
Caspian Gull - adult at Stubbers Green this anoon
Med Gull - adult Gailey on sailing lake early pm
110 Mandarin - Brookleys Lake near Alton

News for the 4th Dec

7 White-fronted Geese - Whitemoor Haye on main pit late am then 5 flew over Croxall Lakes early pm
Great Grey Shrike - Upper Longdon again in usual area
Caspian Gull - adult at Stubbers Green early pm

Extra News for 3rd Dec

3 adult Med Gull - Chasewater roost

Upper Longdon Shrike

Hi All

With nothing at all of note around Whitemoor Haye late this morning, I went over to Upper Longdon this afternoon and enjoyed another hour or so of the Great Grey Shrike for the fourth time. The bird was hunting from the tall conifer stumps nearest the road throughout that time and I managed this hurried digibinned shot when it brought what looks to be a field vole back up to one of it's favourite perches. To help anyone who goes, the other shot shows the Shrike on top of one of it's other favoured perches, both being less then 100 metres from the road... hence this bird sometimes being viewable before you have got out of your car, which has happened to me twice now !

Cheers

Andy R.

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 38
Extra News for the 5th Dec

Great Northern Diver - Blithfield at the deep end this pm
2 Whooper Swan - Belvide at the west end
2 Short-eared Owl - Berry Hill at dusk
Caspian Gull - adult at Stubbers Green early pm

Black Redstart - 1st Gailey Record!

So after probably the best year ever for good birds at Gailey one of my lunchtime visits finally paid off! A female / 1st winter bird flew in and landed on the pontoon in front of the sailing club at 12.55 and showed very well for a few mins. While texting The Snapper it disappeared but I refound it 25mins later on the west side at the base of the dam on the outflow bricks and was there when I left at 13.40...B :)

On a related note the shoreline at Gailey looks excellent at the moment and has dropped further than during the autumn. Apparently it will be dropped a further 6 inches until work is carried out in early Jan. If anybody does see anything good (any waders are good at Gailey...!) while the level is low please report it to RBA or on here or PM me direct.

Apparently, from speaking to Higgo, Birdnet reported it as a Black-throated Diver!! I can confirm there was no Black-throat...well not that I saw anyway!

Extra News for the 6th Dec

3+ Mealy Redpoll - Branston Pits in birches by southern most lake
Great Grey Shrike - again on Chase by the butts this pm
Adult Caspian Gull - Cop Mere roost
Adult Caspian Gull - again Stubbers Green
1w drake Smew & Cetti's Warbler - Drayton Bassett Pits
Short-eared Owl - Doxey Marshes at 14.15

News for the 7th Dec

Black Redstart - female still Gailey at the sailing lake along the west bank this am

For anyone going who doesn't know Gailey well, park off Gailey Lea Lane near the sailing club but not in either of the private car parks. Enter thru the sailing club gates and when you are at the reservoir walk right along the raised bank that surrounds the sailing lake (not the causeway). Keep walking, go past the overflow which is on the bend and then walk along the west bank (dam) until you come to the concrete structure in the middle of the path (the outflow). The bird was there yday and this morning by the sound of the message. It was feeding at the base of the dam where it meets the water.

As I've already stated the waterlevel is low at the moment so might attract some birds that are common elsewhere but are good for Gailey so if you see any then post details on here or PM me or The Snapper. The sort of birds I'm talking about are (less than annual at Gailey): any waders (other than Lapwing, Golden Plover or Snipe), any Geese (except Canada or Greylag), Pintail, Shelduck, Goosander, Scaup, Yellow-legged Gull etc...so if in doubt about posting just PM either of us...

Not that we are paranoid about missing anything you understand...:eek!::-O

Extra News for the 7th Dec

Tundra Bean Goose - Belvide this pm at west end
Black Redstart - Gailey still this pm between sluice and sailing club and mobile

News for the 9th Dec

Black Redstart - still Gailey this am on the dam

Extra News for the 8th Dec

Kittiwake - Tittesworth early am
Caspian Gull - Stubbers Green
Ad Med Gull - Belvide

Extra News for 7th Dec

Putative Azorean Gull - Near-ad again Chasewater in the roost

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back